Author Topic: English title 1830; Baronet ‘R’  (Read 905 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
English title 1830; Baronet ‘R’
« on: Monday 07 December 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello from NZ.

Interested to know how many Baronets you could expect to find about 1830, with a surname starting with R.

A NZ published memoir about a voyage to NZ, leaving Gravesend in February 1853 in the SIMLAH, gives an indication of fellow passengers sharing an eight berth 2nd class cabin. One passenger is described as the young son of a Baronet.

“There were eight of us in our cabin, Mr and Mrs O. S., Mr R., who was the son of a baronet, a single lady, Miss H., afterwards called "Ducksy," also three brothers R.,1 who were going out to learn farming.”  ………

“One day Miss H. told me they were going to have some fun with young R.2 The army Captain had picked a quarrel with him, and called him out. Poor young fellow ! He quite resigned himself to be shot, wrote most affecting letters to his parents, bid us all good-bye, and made us presents. To me he gave his church service, to Miss H. his ring. I could scarcely resist telling him how it would end, but was bound to secrecy.”…………..

#1 Three ROLAND brothers are named in published lists of non-assisted passengers.
I found nothing in the NZ press, associating them with a titled family at home, and the Mr R was recorded in addition to the brothers R.

#2 … “his church service”….. may imply he was a young Lay reader within the Church of England.

The author, Annie SHEPHERD nee KEET, was only 19 at the time of sailing with her 1st born and husband.

Her reminisces, for her grand kids were written 37 years later, and are proving to be fairly accurate, in verifiable substance. Remarkable what she achieved in her 20's with children at her feet.

NZ board discussion. Annie Curme SHEPHERD nee KEET. 

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=839360.0

Alan.
Rural NZ pioneers.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: English title 1830; Baronet ‘R’
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 20 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  A number of surnames there that I instantly recognise as movers and shakers within our early pioneering families. Gives me another few nights worth of research checking out bios.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: English title 1830; Baronet ‘R’
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan 

("Visiting" you here, from the link posted on your NZ thread.   ;) )

“There were eight of us in our cabin, Mr and Mrs O. S., Mr R., who was the son of a baronet, a single lady, Miss H., afterwards called "Ducksy," also three brothers R.,1 who were going out to learn farming.”  ………

"... there were eight of us in our cabin ... "

Hmm ... my count is nine ... (Annie doesn't appear to have included her child ? )
But if she is meaning adults, then eight is the count.  ;D

And to decode her writing, I believe she was referring to >

Mr and Mrs O'SULLIVAN  /  Miss H (a.k.a. "Ducksy") who was Miss Emma HILL / and "also three brothers R" who were Hugh RONALDS / James RONALDS and Francis RONALDS

#1 Three ROLAND brothers are named in published lists of non-assisted passengers.
I found nothing in the NZ press, associating them with a titled family at home, and the Mr R was recorded in addition to the brothers R.

Correct surname for the three brothers is RONALDS ( not  ROLAND ).

I think I added some info about the RONALDS to your NZ thread.

But just a little extra (and it may save you time searching amongst "baronets"   ;))  ...  in the 1861  census, Hugh RONALDS who has by then returned to England, is living with his father Edmund RONALDS, a Retired Merchant, born Islington, London.    (Will see if I can find some additional sources for this RONALDS family.)

AND ... back to Annie's referral to "Mr and Mrs O S, Mr R.  who was the son of a baronet " ...

My guess is that she is talking about Mr O'SULLIVAN ... and in using the letter "R", she is making reference to him by using the letter of his first christian name  (... although her usual practice is to give the letter of a surname with which to identify people).

I have gathered information  for "Mr R J and Mrs A M O'SULLIVAN" (passengers per the "Simlah" to NZ - 1854) so as to keep things "in one place", will add what I have to your New Zealand thread.

~   Lu