Author Topic: Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby in the Whitby area?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline d1gg1nr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby in the Whitby area?
« on: Monday 07 December 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Apologies in advance if this is a bit muddled.  I'm more used to US records and am a relative beginner at researching in the UK.

I'm trying to find additional information about, and hopefully parents for, my ancestors Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby.  They departed Liverpool in the ship Rising Sun, arriving in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US in August 1822.  According to the passenger list, their ages, children, and children's ages were as follows:

Richard 55
Hannah 40
Maria 13
John 11
Robert 9
William 7
George 4
Thomas 1

They settled in Dearborn County, Indiana by December 1822, where they had a couple of additional daughters (one of whom was my ancestress). Based on grave markers and/or obituaries, Richard was born 13 April 1764 in Yorkshire, while Hannah was born 22 June 1783 in Yorkshire (note that these dates are slightly inconsistent with the ages reported in the passenger list above).  Hannah's maiden name is based on William's middle name (which is supposed to have been Lackenby), an obituary for George, and the death certificate of their youngest daughter Jane (born around 1826).

I have not been able to find a marriage record for a Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby in Yorkshire.  I have attempted to find christening records for their children, and the following seem to be the best candidates:

John Robinson, son of Richard Robinson, 18 Oct 1810 in Egton, Yorkshire (the age stated on John's grave marker indicates that he was born 13 Oct 1810)

Robert Robinson, son of Richard & Hannah Robinson, 6 Oct 1812 in Lythe, Yorkshire (this record states that he was born on 20 Sep 1812 and that Richard was a farmer of Tranmire).

William Robinson, son of Richard and Hannah Robinson, 14 May 1815 in Roxby, Yorkshire

George Robinson, son of Richard and Hannah Robinson, 26 Jan 1818 in Danby with Castleton, Yorkshire (his grave marker says he was born 10 Jan 1818 in Yorkshire, and his obituary said he was born "near Castleton")

For Maria (or Mary) and Thomas, I'm less certain of which christening records likely belong to them, but entries from Guisborough and Kirby in Cleveland, respectively, may be most promising. But considering Robert Robinson's christening record which suggests that he was born in Tranmire (apparently a tiny hamlet), it's notable that the other locations referenced in the christening records seem to make a pretty neat circle around Tranmire.

Another clue: I have DNA matches who are descended from Isaac Leadley Tose (born 1819 in Whitby) and Maria Robinson (born 1824 in Sandsend or Lythe).  These matches are shared matches with descendants of my Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby.  Isaac and Maria were married in Whitby in 1853.  Maria was the daughter of a Richard Robinson who was born in Lythe in the 1793-1799 timeframe (his ages as reported in the 1841 through 1871 censuses are a bit inconsistent). Presumably Maria’s father Richard Robinson is related to my Richard Robinson somehow—perhaps even a son via an earlier marriage—but I haven’t gotten very far in tracing the connection.

My questions:

1. Does it seem like I’m on the right track in linking christening records to Richard and Hannah’s children? I’m guessing that if they lived in Tranmire, they had their children christened at various churches in different directions from Tranmire (versus consistently going to the same church), but does that seem plausible?

2. There seems to be a fair bit of evidence that Hannah’s maiden name was Lackenby, but I’ve had difficulty finding a marriage record for Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby, or a christening record for Hannah Lackenby that seems like a good match. Any thoughts on how to track down their marriage or her parents?

3. Any thoughts on how to trace the connection between my Richard Robinson and Maria Robinson Tose’s father Richard, or otherwise identify the parents of my Richard?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Robinson and Hannah Lackenby in the Whitby area?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, d1gg1nr00ts.

I had a quick look on Ancestry to see if anyone else had solved any of your queries.

Hannah is in about 40 trees, but I do not think that any of them show parents for her, apart from one of 1779 in Cawood.
However, the waters are murky because there are other couples called Hannah and Richard Robinson that are in England in the 1840's and 1859's and then appear to die in Indiana.

Richard Robinson and Hannah are very common names.  Did you look for Lackenby/Leckenby etc etc?
Did you look to see what parish marriage records are available and whether likely ones are missing?

Often all the children's baptisms will be in the same church - not jumping around.  I would be much happier if there were at least 2 in the same place.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »
From F M P
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FYORKSHIRE%2FMAR%2F301558481%2F2

Hannah Lackenby and Richard Robinson in Egton marriage 1800, looks reasonable.

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

How about this marriage?

Richard ROBINSON of the Parish of Egton
and
Hannah LACKENBY of the Parish of Egton

Married in this Church by Banns this sixteenth day of February in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eight

Both made their mark.

Witnesses:  Wm UNDERWOOD, Elizebth PEARSON

The writing is very faint so I can't be sure that I have transcribed the surnames exactly.

Regards,
Daisy

I was typing this as chempat replied, the transcription at FindMyPast says 1800 but looking at the image it is 1808.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:27 GMT (UK) »
1808 will do, saves us trying to find some more children born.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:32 GMT (UK) »
There are no more Lackenby marriages showing on F M P records at Egton from 1760 to 1840.

Offline d1gg1nr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you chempat, Daisypetal! That certainly does seem promising, especially considering that their oldest son, John, was christened in Egton in 1810. Strange that I can’t find a christening record for Mary there, though. The nearest for a Mary daughter of Richard and Hannah Robinson is in Guisborough from 30 April 1808, just two and a half months after this marriage. But perhaps that’s why they had her christened at a more distant church (if that’s even something one could simply choose to do at the time)?

Also strange that the marriage record doesn’t have any parents’ names, unlike most other marriage records from that timeframe that I’ve seen on Ancestry and FamilySearch.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the front pages of the book it explains the way in which those registers were to be filled up.  If you look through the pages you will find some banns that did not result in marriages.

Offline d1gg1nr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don’t have a paid FindMyPast account, so I can’t browse the book. However, Daisypetal’s transcription of the entry contains the language “Married in this Church by Banns this sixteenth day of February in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eight.” Does that mean that they were actually married on that date, the banns having previously been published, or does it actually just mean that the banns were published on 16 February (and they may or may not have been actually married on some later date)?

Regarding christening records for the children, another popped up on FamilySearch (attached to a possible duplicate, I can’t make it come up with a record search for some reason). So my tentative list is now as follows:

Mary 30 Apr 1808 Guisborough?
John 18 Oct 1810 Egton
Robert 6 Oct 1812 Lythe (from Tranmire)
William 15 Apr 1815 Roxby
George 26 Jan 1818 Danby
Thomas 8 Oct 1820 Danby

Mary’s clearly the odd one out, and the one I have least confidence in. Looking at various parish maps (particularly on GENUKI), in some it appears that Tranmire is in Lythe parish while in others it appears that Tranmire is in Roxby parish (or mostly in Roxby parish), and quite close to the border with Danby parish. Might the parish boundaries have changed around this time, which could make the records for Robert and William consistent if the family lived in Tranmire?