Author Topic: Ann Jane Lowcock b 1852  (Read 413 times)

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ann Jane Lowcock b 1852
« on: Monday 07 December 20 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is a Photograph/Scan of my 2nd Great Grandmother Ann Jane Lowcock b 1852 Bootle Lancashire
I was Wondering if someone could give me a approx age on how old she is in the Photograph
Regards
Iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Jane Lowcock b 1852
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
She is very small comparing her size to the chair. But despite her small stature she has her hair in a “grown up” style. My GUESS is she is in her late teens, so photo would be about 1870.
I will be interested to see what others think, and especially what the photo daters say.
 Added - also dress is not full length, so perhaps she is not yet of “full age”.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Neale for your dating .. small stature must run in the Family as am only 5 foot and my mum was around the same height .. i thought it maybe around 1870 but wasnt to sure
Regards
Iria
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 December 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Iria

I'd date it a little earlier - mid-late 1860s. Is it possible to see the back and the whole card to see the corners, please?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking even early 1860s, and I think she is only about 10 years old. Girls were often dressed as miniatures of their mothers but with shorter skirts.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
The reason  I gave it the mid-60s-late date, Peter, was because she had her hair behind her ears. This began in the mid 1860s.

One of my books says that short crinolines were worn by girls - maybe with pantaloons.  I can't see her legs very clearly to see if she's showing her pantaloons  :)

PS - I'm puzzled by her hair style as it does look appropriate for a mid-late teen  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 December 20 21:27 GMT (UK) »
This is dated 1864. Note the hair style and skirt length of the girl on the left

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/list123/jone10f.jpg

Labelled 'The Misses Langley (Mrs Langleys three daughters)'

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iria....lovely photo, I reached the same estimate as Gadget before I saw her response. Peter makes a valid point about young girls being dressed as mini adults. Her figure is immature so I would guess her to be around 13/14 years old.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Iria

I'd date it a little earlier - mid-late 1860s. Is it possible to see the back and the whole card to see the corners, please?

Gadget

Hi Gadget
This is the only Image i have it was sent to me a Few years ago now as a E.mail thankyou for your date ..
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool