Author Topic: Diary > Monday 7th December  (Read 575 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 7th December
« on: Tuesday 08 December 20 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hope I'm not posting at the same time as Caroline......

A grey start to the day, the sun made a very brief appearance then cloudy again. Had been thinking of walking near the beach, fed up of the local area and it's so muddy at the moment. Felt like I couldn't be very bothered dragging myself out anywhere but gave myself a shake, got ready and drove down to walk along the beachside path. It was a cold day, a bracing walk but good to get out.

After lunch I tried to phone about an order I received yesterday that was missing an item. They're not taking phone calls, only online messages so I found myself in a webchat that lasted an hour and a half, by which time I felt like screaming. I had stated at the outset exactly what it was about but it was as if I hadn't given any details, it was like talking to an idiot. By the end of it they'd told me they give me a refund for the wrong amount. I couldn't stand any more of it, I'd ended up with a headache and absolutely furious. I won't leave it there.

I felt like I'd wasted the whole afternoon, I did a bit more cupboard sorting but that was it apart from some final alterations to my grocery order.
 My friend in Devon phoned in the evening, was good to talk to her and I felt calmer afterwards. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 7th December
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 00:46 GMT (UK) »
No, you got in before me! I was busy looking at ancestry at my DNA matches and wondering how the heck they get some of them down as possible 4th cousins when they’ve no tree or no names that match any of mine.... beats me how they work it out! Still trying to find someone from my fathers side of the family that could have taken a test.... so far diddly squat!
Sorry to hear you’ve had a frustrating day... nothing worse than an idiot on the end of a web chat... yes there is... an idiot on the phone who you can’t understand! Hope you get it resolved.... take the money don’t open the box! 😤😀

It was foggy,very cold and a heavy frost when I got up this morning... early! The trees looked so pretty all white and the Cobwebs on the fence really stood out  quite magical... if I could just admire from the inside and not go out!
Put some warm clothing on... umpteen layers... threw water over the windows of the car had frozen again in between doing it then going inside for a minute and coming out again! The temp in the car was -1.5C.. 🥶🥶 a shock to the system!
I went to the greengrocers first, lovely fresh vegs and fruit... in the fortnight since I last went they’ve altered the whole inside of the shop... much more space now. Next to Lidl’s which was pretty quiet mostly women in there who all wore face coverings and knew how to behave unlike some of the men! Bought a magic set for the boys... they do have a good selection of things in there... I could have spent a fortune... got to keep that for all the stamps I’m going to have to buy!
Finally Waitrose to collect the rest... glad to get back home as it was so cold... OH helped me bring it all into the garage and I’ve left most if it isolating there... it’s like a fridge out there so should be fine!
OH busy doing bread... despite the house feeling nice and warm it took ages for it to rise... finally nearly 2.30 by the time we had lunch!
Sorted out the post that’s been isolating in the porch... some parcels of goodies from my son... and an M & S voucher for £25 from our WI committee... that was a nice surprise... mailed president and committee straight away to thank them.. promptly went into the M&S site and spent it... easy peasy! Apparently they decided as we’d had no meetings since March and we’ve paid our subs no speakers to pay for or hall hire we should have something back... we’ll done girls lovely thought!
Did some tidying up, sorted bins out... sat and wrote some more cards ready for posting...getting fed up with it now... rather make them than write in them!
I got the cooked liver out if the freezer added some more mushrooms, had it with mash, carrots and kale and crispy bacon..
Watched some rugby, university Challenge... hard tonight... got some between us..
Friend phoned and we had a nice chat... miss not seeing them, they’re are oldest friends... met up with them once at NT place in the summer... they were the last people we saw before lockdown in March to have lunch with and a hug! Seems a distant memory now... their Son and family live in Spain... he’s a teacher out there found it quite challenging at times ... hope we can see them in next few months.... always spend New Year together so it’ll be odd this year...
That’s the sum total of my day... madly excitingly you can see!
Supposed to be meeting up with the coffee girls in the am for a walk.... don’t think so if it’s as cold as today.... we’ll see!

Hope others weather was better!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 02:18 GMT (UK) »
My weather the same as yours, Caroline.   Absolutely freezing, warning of fog of which there was none when I left home at 12.45 for hair appointment (should have been 16th November).   However, by the time I got back to the car the fog was really coming down.  Next drove to Sainsbury's as I had forgotten to get a couple of items with my Asda delivery on Friday plus I needed to get some cash from the machine.

Got home around 2.45 and boy was I glad to get in out of the cold.  Seemed to go right through you. Haven't really warmed up properly since.  Cousin in Dorset phoned this evening and had a nice chat with her plus our cousin in Mendlesham phoned me late afternoon. 

Cumberland pie for dinner tonight with vegetables.   Usual evening activities - got Christmas cards to write but simply wasn't in the mood.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 07:49 GMT (UK) »
I got some laundry done first thing.  Then went shopping.  Very cold weather. The supermarket had sold out of my current favourite yoghurt.  Went to the post office and there was a long queue as there was last week.  Last week, a man made me smile, when he joked to an old lady with a twinkle in his eye "Come and join the dole queue, Missus!"
I then went home and had some spicy lentil soup which I made yesterday and some peaches.  Pottered about and had a vegetarian meal for tea with another yoghurt, not my favourite.   I hear from Son & Daughter in law that they have decided they will not be joining our usual family Christmas meal together this year at one of my brothers' house,  as a family member they are living with has become 'vulnerable' and they don't want to increase their risk.  This is a disappointment but I think they are right. Hopefully, things will be different next year.
Reading and RC in the evening and early bed.

Well, today in 'V Day' at last - Tuesday 8th.  Very exciting and great news.  I have seen in the papers that it is predicted that covid will likely go the same way as smallpox and the like.  I know it will take some months to administer but at least now we have real hope.  I know several people who are nervous and who are wary about having it.  However, I think they might come around to the idea in time.

Happy 'V Day' everyone and hopefully now we can look forward to life getting back on the path to more like the 'old normal'.  :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Another busy day for you Caroline, it is difficult not seeing close friends for so long but hopefully there's an end in sight. Hope you got out for your walk today.

Annette, getting some motivation to write Christmas cards is a challenge, it's unfortunate that it falls at the time of year when we all want to hibernate.

RTL, happy V day to you too!  :D
It's a shame that your son and his wife won't be joining you for Christmas but very caring of them to avoid any risks. Nice to come across people like the man in the post office who can make you laugh, something we all need these days.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales