Author Topic: Findmypast plans to deny full access to 1921 census - survey  (Read 12231 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast plans to deny full access to 1921 census - survey
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
At that sort of cost, as I really more or less know where and who everyone I need was, I'm really not likely to be interested.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I will not be doing the survey, I have been locked out at the first question because I refused to reveal my age. This in spite of having a fully paid up world wide membership for nearly seven years.  >:(

Make something up.  :)

Doesn't work for the same username - you'd have to clear all cookies, change IP address and rejoin under a new name. I know, because I tried to look again (to check questions I'd forgotten) and they wouldn't let me.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Why not send it out as a survey to all subscribers of FindMyPast, that way they would know they are targeting the people who will use it?

That is how I was targeted.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I will not be doing the survey, I have been locked out at the first question because I refused to reveal my age. This in spite of having a fully paid up world wide membership for nearly seven years.  >:(

Doesn't work for the same username - you'd have to clear all cookies, change IP address and rejoin under a new name. I know, because I tried to look again (to check questions I'd forgotten) and they wouldn't let me.

It was a tip for others who might be reluctant to reveal their age but want to complete the survey. I must admit this is a real bugbear of mine, I can see that the information is relevant to some surveys but they all seem to ask the question as standard so that they can include it in some meaningless statistics.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »

It was a tip for others who might be reluctant to reveal their age but want to complete the survey. I must admit this is a real bugbear of mine, I can see that the information is relevant to some surveys but they all seem to ask the question as standard so that they can include it in some meaningless statistics.

I don’t object to revealing my age, it just annoyed me that it was the first question. I only complete surveys on things that are relevant to me, and I’m not interested in entering for prizes. Normally they just give you a box to tick for an appropriate age group.

I was not in the best of moods having got up to a cold house and found my boiler has packed up. A new boiler is going to cost considerably more than access to records. :'(
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Find my past
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Just a heads up to everyone find my past is going to be releasing the 1921 census soon but there is a catch they are going to be charging everyone on top of their subscription to view the records anything between £2 to £5 disgraceful :'(
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Find my past
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
They did the same when the 1911 was released.  They have after all paid people to do the transcribing and have to cover their costs somehow.  If you are patient then eventually it will be included in subscriptions and then Ancestry will also get it.

ADDED Last time you could go to TNA at Kew and view it free of charge, I expect the same will happen.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree with rosie99 - and you have the choice, pay for early access or wait.  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Same thing happened with the 1939 National Register.

I agree with the others - either pay up, or wait! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)