Author Topic: James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming  (Read 1248 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming
« on: Tuesday 08 December 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming were married in East Kilbride in 1743.

Their recorded children are
Janet, 1757
William, 1760
Ann. 1762
Jean, 1766
all born at Headhouse, East Kilbride.

That looks like a very long gap between marriage and first child.

However there are three baptisms in Blantyre, father James Aikenhead, no mother listed
Alexander, 1744
John, 1746
James, 1752
all born at Park. I take this to be Blantyre Park.

I am wondering if these are earlier children of James A and Ann Fleming.

Can anyone think of a way to confirm this? There are no relevant wills or sasines.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Any of the Park born children laying in East Kilbride Parish Cemetery?  Council has the burial books which go back to at least mid 1700's.

Does the naming pattern fit; if it fits then it adds some weight to your interpretation.

Park was Park west of Blantyre Park above another small farm called Boghead.  You could hit the newspaper archive and see if Park was advertised for rent 1752+ or farm labour.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Any of the Park born children laying in East Kilbride Parish Cemetery?
Not sure. I have seen the lair books, and have been recently contacted with a request for information by a member of a project looking at the same books. There is nothing conclusive there. The only hint is a stone with initials JA AF on it (though I originally read them as IA AT), on a trio of lairs containing burials of people I know to be related to me, so I am fairly confident that JA and AF are mine, but not so confident that the Blantyre baptisms are theirs.

Does the naming pattern fit; if it fits then it adds some weight to your interpretation.
It does, which is why I am seeking some additional evidence to corroborate it.

Park was Park west of Blantyre Park above another small farm called Boghead.
I was going by Roy's map, which says 'Park' pretty much where Blantyre Park is on the OS maps. I can see another Park, near Bogend, west of Blantyre Farm, but that one's in the parish of Cambuslang.   

You could hit the newspaper archive and see if Park was advertised for rent 1752+ or farm labour.
Have already drawn a blank there. Not even sure who the proprietor was in the 1740s.

Thank you for your interest :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
For Park see https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400273

Park - portioner was John Miller 1718 (marriage contract son-in-law of Andrew Coates of Barnhill).  Miller or likely his son was still there in the 1790 directory.

Again, good luck

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, that's one of the two farms named as Blantyre Park on the OS maps.

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.77482&lon=-4.10274&layers=5&b=1

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Do the witnesses to the baptisms point to it being the same James?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »
There are no witnesses listed, unfortunately, either in East Kilbride or in Blantyre.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there, This seems very interesting and I may also be related to this James Aikenhead and Ann Fleming. I'm related to the brothers Alexander (md 1773) and John Aikenhead (md 1780) who lived in East Kilbride. It looks like this is the right person for me also, as the eldest person who could be the s/o Alexadner was a James, and the eldest s/o John was another James. I looked thru the marriages and I found this James, and I noticed the gap between years and I had thought this was the right father, but I couldn't prove it. I never thought to look in another parish, this is very interesting! Also, I thought I'd ask if anyone would know how to access any burials in East Kilbride from this time period (as I can't find any).
Thanks!

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
Oh, I just realized that I wasn't really clear about what I was asking, I was hoping I could get a second opinion regarding John and Alexanders parents.
Thanks,
u/trekcuber