Author Topic: James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming  (Read 1263 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Ai(t)kenhead and Ann Fleming
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
I agree that Alexander Aitkenhead who married Agnes Young in 1773 is the brother of John Aitkenhead who married Helen Browning in 1780.

As for the idea that the Aitkenheads came to East Kilbride from Edinburgh/Midlothian, I don't think that is very likely, though it's not impossible of course.

The surname originates from the name of a place which is in Lanarkshire, not all that far from EK. The Aitkenheads in Edinburgh were merchants and artisans, and one of them was Lord Provost of Edinburgh. Why would sons of a prosperous city family leave the city and go to take up farming in Lanarkshire?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do not know about confirming Alexander, John, & James but I did find 3 others in East Kilbride whom have James as father and no mother listed.

Births:

Janet  born: 6 January 1744 East Kilbride

James  born: 00 January 1748 East Kilbride

Janet. born: 17 November 1754 East Kilbride

Kim

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kim.

Those three are listed as the children of James Aitken or Aikine, not James Aitkenhead. The jury is stilll out as to whether this James is an Aitkenhead who has shortened his surname, or someone totally unrelated.

However Janet born 26 December 1744 and baptised on 6 January 1745 (not 1744; the index is wrong) is described as daughter of James Aitken in Cadgerloan, and there is no record of any Aitkenheads being in Cadgerloan.

Also James Aitkenhead and Ann Fleming's eldest child seems likely to be Alexander, baptised 19 May 1744, and Janet Aitken was born only 7 months after Alexander was baptised. Also Alexander and his next two brothers were born in Blantyre, and they overlap with the three Aitken children born in EK, so it looks as if they are not all the same family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 July 23 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kim and Anne. It seems that James A*K*N of Cadgerloan was not the James Aitkenhead who married Anne Fleming, as I just found the baptism of William Aicken, b. 5/3/1741 in Cadgerloan to James. Thank you for all the info.