Author Topic: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Robert Campbell
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/campbell-robert-1876
I did some research on him and his family tree some years back. If your ancestor worked for the family, he was probably lucky. They were kind and benevolent. Both Robert and his 2 sons Robert and John were involved in, and supported the ant-transportation debate.
There was a nephew, named Robert Campbell junior, who was quite a rogue and created some problems for the family.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
background, CAMPBELL, Sydney

https://campbellsstores.com.au/history/  so from earliest British settlement of Sydney...

Also,  Lachlan Macquarie, 'Father of Australia' (its on his headstone in Scotland), Governor of NSW post the first coup d'etat ... Rum Rebellion etc, deposing Bligh .... 26 January 1808 etc ... 

Macquarie's wife, Elizabeth, her family name was CAMPBELL ... http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/macquarie-elizabeth-henrietta-2418

But we need to be looking at the period mid to late 1840s, for Thomas WALKER,  so convictism ceased to NSW by 1840,  he got his CF in 1843, and may well have been known by any name he chose to become known by.    His marriage had quite within both NSW and English law, been effectively terminated back in 1828 with his sentence 'beyond the seas' for 7 or more years (he got 14, due to former convictions) ... so he had been free to marry from as early as mid 1829 (with the governor's consent while under the bond of that sentence, but completely free from 1843 issue of CF).

Clearly he was well trained for farming.   But by 1843 he was no longer a young man ... so if he acquired his own land to farm, he would have needed to engage labourers to help.   Remember too that in the mid to late 1830s, England had set up South Australia as a separate entity ... not as a penal colony ... so it had set up a private company to 'sell' land ... (NSW had been 'granting land', pastoral leasing etc, - differences are well documented) ... so the 'price' of land needed to return profit to the private company ... so NSW governor had to increase his 'upset' price and the 'quit rent' price etc ... so land became expensive ... so an economic depression befell NSW in the early to mid 1840s ... so .... where would a single chap with a CF go to start over again - in the years before huge populations flocked to 'Australia' with gold fever - commencing mid 1851 ?

I think of New Zealand, or 'Australia Felix' (ie that part of then NSW that became Victoria), or Cape Town (South Africa), or Peru, Chile or California or perhaps South Australia ... or he stayed in and around Queanbeyan or the Monaro -   

Hope those suggestions are helpful.

JM  (yes, Neale is right about the Campbells - umm.... yes, there's a rogue Campbell on one side branch of my own tree !)

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
JM,
What information would likely be found on this death record if ordered?

WALKER  Thomas 
135/1846 V1846135 31B
AGE 66

The age is 10 years out.
I wonder at the quality of the script between a 5 and a 6 on the original.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:14 GMT (UK) »
JM,
I suspect it will be just a burial record with name, age and place.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:57 GMT (UK) »
JM,

WALKER  Thomas 
135/1846 V1846135 31B
AGE 66

The age is 10 years out.
I wonder at the quality of the script between a 5 and a 6 on the original.

Sue

It is the burial from CofE parish register.  It may have the ship of arrival.   Vol 31B  ... definitely C of E.   

I am not at home so I cannot give detail as to likely which C of E using the year 1846 and line no. 135,  but likely just with such a low line number that it was NOT in Sydney town.   Should be home by Sunday.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 December 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
In reply#4 Caroline has let us know that Thomas' father was Church of England.

All a bit of a longshot, but as the man we are looking for is a direct ancestor, every thought is probably worth a follow up conversation.

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 December 20 03:56 GMT (UK) »
The following is speculative, but based on reliable sources...

Re the CofE Vol 31B .... from my very reliable ancient rellies,  including retired CofE Rev'd...

Vol 31B is likely to include St Paul's, Cobbitty, Rev Hassell ... he was likely the first NSW born person to become an Anglican Reverend.   In the 1840s he oversaw the dedication of the newly constructed church at Cobbitty ... there has been a cemetery there since at least the mid 1820s.    And until THIS current century the district around Cobbitty has been a thriving farming community, providing much of the food bowl for ever expanding Sydney. 

Rellie has compared a known DD from my family tree with the NSW BDM references and a guide on NSW website downloaded ages ago,  and is confident that Vol31B around line 120 will be St Paul's  so hopes 135 could be too.

Suggestions from my rellie ... look at Trove and at the earlier Ferguson newspaper 1840-1850 newspapers....

JM.

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 December 20 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

can't thank you all enough for the info (including fascinating background info and potential avenues of research), haven't had as much time to look into this today as I'd have liked, but I did find the Volume number mentioned (V1846135 31B) on an Ancestry index with the Registration Place listed as Cobbitty, Narellan (which JM referenced in his post).

Cobbitty seems to be a long way from Queanbeyean but then I don't know how the geography and distances would have married up at that time (and to somebody in the UK all Australian distances are huge!).

I'll see if the "Trove" throws up anything interesting when I get the chance.

Thanks you again,

Caroline

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 December 20 23:03 GMT (UK) »
It is about 200 kilometres from Queanbeyan to Cobbitty.

I do not know much about the history of that area, but the modern day map shows a road between the 2. If it was built upon an old track, I can imagine a middle-aged man in need of agricultural work and wanting to leave behind some unpleasant memories, may tramp away toward Cobbitty.

A rumour of increasing agricultural production in the area is a good incentive. Perhaps he had a horse, perhaps there was a passing wagon to offer a ride. Perhaps he had short stints on land holdings along the way.

As far as I can see, there is no mention of a likely Thomas WALKER in the newspapers at that time and place, which to me signifies he was of little importance,  low profile person.

I do love how the imagination runs when we speculate on the past ;) :-\
It is just as likely this death is entirely the wrong man!

Sue