Author Topic: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Former
Conviction
Well sorted Neale  : :)

So a previous conviction ....

I am not near my desktop,  so I have not seen the image of the whole document.

PS Matthew is spot on  :)

Plough
Shepherd
Milk

So a skilled Farm Man .... can
1. sow seed (and repair his equipment and  husband his animal/s that pull the plough)
2 Sheep ... can likely also butcher, skin,  as well as feed, water, lamb the ewes, sort and make some into wethers, 
3. Milk ... So dairy cows ... twice a day, and strain,  perhaps make butter, cheese,  ... not just feed hay ....

Skilled farm knowledge and animal husbandry ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neal and JM,

thanks for deciphering and good to know about the trade notations, makes sense as his father was a farmer so he'd have grown up in that environment.

Cheers

Caroline

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I know you all have a lot more experience of these records than me as it's my first time looking at anything to do with transportation.

On the "Ticket of Leave" records, where there is a column for each quarter, whose are the names listed in these columns? Is it some sort of guarantor or person vouching for them? Or is it somebody keeping the records? I have found Thomas on these records in 1839 and 1841.

In the Queanbeyan Applications R Campbell is listed as his employer. His Employment / Residence from the NSW Convicts arrived Lord Melville records, and "How disposed of" from the  Bound Indentures records seem to match this name. Does the place say Sydney? (see two attachments). Also there seems to be a notation before R Campbell, could this be Honourable?

(I found a Robert Campbell online last night and see he held some important offices but don't know if "Hon" is a notation that would have been in use in NSW at the time, or if this would be the same man.)

As usual I started off this search looking for one thing (post 1843 information) and am now fascinated by all the details I am learning along the way!

Cheers

Caroline

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 20 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Honourable written as “Hon-able”
R Campbell Sydney.
Without seeing the whole document, I am guessing at someone holding a high office- in the legal profession or a member of parliament maybe.

Possibly this man, (or his son) who had his large estate at Queanbeyan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Campbell_%281769–1846%29
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks (again!) Neale, the association with Queanbeyan fit's in with other information,

Cheers

Caroline

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
There are many news items relating to Robert Campbell in the Queanbeyan area.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/
He died in 1859.

On a pedantic note regarding the script of Thomas WALKER's occupation,
There is to my eye superscript ending each of the words. Hard to see but...

So the reading might be
Plough (man)
Shep (herd)
and
Milk (er)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)

R Campbell ... I noted him at reply 1. 

There is an excellent fairly new secondary resource that has a nominal annual subscription that may well be helpful for our O P .  The index searches are no charge.  It is a not for profit ongoing project.

Biographical Database of Australia.
https://www.bda-online.org.au/

a)    being issued a Ticket of Leave in 1836, (#702 to remain in the Murray District
and then in 1843
b)    Certificate of Freedom –( issued 16 Jan 1843, #081).   

The ToL 36/702 concludes with the formal details that show that The Goulburn Bench (so the Police Magistrate in that Police District) recommended that Thomas WALKER, 29/1088 be allowed under the terms of that ToL to remain in the then Murray District

Interestedly, there’s in that 1837 General Muster,  an entry listed for a Thomas WALKER, aged 56, who was noted as arriving per the Lord Melville in 1828.  The remarks column shows he had a Ticket of leave and was in the Queanbeyan District.    I am unsure if that is convict number 29/1088, but I suspect it is because :

:) Among the digitised images there’s ‘Queanbeyan Applications 1828-1857 …
Headings include No. of Ticket  (I am sure that would be the number of the existing ToL which needed to be reviewed and a new one issued etc etc … ToL valid for 12 months etc)

Anyway, on that Queanbeyan Application list there’s two mentions for Walker Thomas.
One reads:
Walker Thomas
Alias
Cooper, Richard

The other one .... it has blanks in two columns and then Walker Thomas,  L Melville, 1829  R Campbell,  and in the column for April 1841 it has P.   I believe “P” was an abbreviation for “Ticket of Leave Passport." 

Queanbeyean is still located in what was, in the 1840s known as the 'Murray' district.  Murray is still one of the original 19 Counties of New South Wales, an admin system set up in the 1820s by the then NSW Governor, Darling as per the British Admin via Whitehall direction (so probably when the English Sec of State was Lord Bathurst ?)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  Sue is spot on...on all accounts, including the superscript.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
And there's a Ronald Campbell - he was also another person of note in that era... 

And also check for a Peter BEST ... the Thomas WALKER per Lord Melville was assigned to him via a Ticket of Leave arrangement in the mid 1830s... 

I have not yet found the spare moments for my hands on search for Thomas WALKER after the 1843 CF, (which is afterall the original question)  but I have the backup team of ancient rellies 'on the case', so fingers crossed between us all (RChatters and my ancient rellies who OUGHT TO JOIN RCHAT, but have not) ... we will find Thos W.   

JM