Author Topic: Iddeson marriage  (Read 475 times)

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Iddeson marriage
« on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hope you are all keeping well.
I am looking for a marriage between Thomas Iddeson b. 1870 Middleham Yorkshire  and Eliza Norham b. 1880 Dorset. In 1894 Thomas married Charlotte Wheeler  b.1872 Hammersmith London. They had 1 child Ellen Alice b1895 in Bedfordshire. In the 1911 census Charlotte and her daughter  were living with her sister Alice listed as a  widow.
Thomas was living with Eliza in 1911. according to the census they had been married around 1902.
Any help appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Iddeson marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Not seeing anything on FreeBMD; perhaps they never married.

One set of my gt.grandparents has been married 11 years according to 1911 census......they never married.  ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
As Eliza was still alive in 1911 he wouldnt legally be able to marry.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
1902 might be the date Thomas and Eliza started living together as man and wife, Thomas is still with Charlotte in 1901. Thomas and Eliza seem to have registered their children's births as if they were married.
Unless Thomas and Charlotte divorced, Thomas and Eliza couldn't marry legally. Have you found Charlotte's death? I have known couples who pretended to be married, actually marry much later (often some distance from home) straight after a previous partner's death
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Charlotte emigrated to Canada in 1930. On same ticket number is Helena McDonald 33 and Douglas McDonald 15. I think Helena may be daughter Ellen. If you search for Ellen on Ancestry her name comes up on a record for Widows and Dependants of soldiers who died in WW1 associated with Henry Richard Adams. He died in May 1915. In Q2 1915 a Douglas Lawrence Adams Ibbotson's birth was registered in Fulham district. MMn not recorded. In Q4 1917 an Ellen A Adams married Edgar McK. Macdonald in Hammersmith RD. Was this Ellen marrying as if a widow of H R Adams.?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. I am beginning to think that Thomas and Eliza never married. Charlotte was definitely alive in 1911 when Thomas and Eliza were living together. I expect she described herself as a widow to save face. I will look into the emigration of Charlotte and her daughter Ellen.
Again many thanks.