Author Topic: Nicholas Brennan Davidstown born circa 1810  (Read 765 times)

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Brennan Davidstown born circa 1810
« on: Tuesday 08 December 20 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find information for Nicholas Brennan who died in Davidstown in 1856. He had brothers called John and Bartholomew. I have become a little mixed up between brothers and nephews. I am trying to identify his brother Bartholomew as he adopted my Great Grandmother Julia (they renamed her Johanna). Can any one help? I have attached a photo of their grave in Barntown.?
Thanks
Jo
Arrowsmith,Richardson - Ormskirk,Lathom,Burscough,North Meols, Southport, Croston, Tarleton
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford
O'Brien, Cooper - Liverpool

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Brennan Davidstown born circa 1810
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A Bartholomew Brennan, age 75 died in 1875 at Davidstown.  He is recorded as a smith (blacksmith) and married.  Mary Brennan was present at death.   Is this the man you're seeking help with?

Link below:-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020620/7234971.pdf

Regards

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think so- I have been told His grave lies next to my G Grandmothers. I am looking for his date of birth or baptism - I think I have found a confirmation record for him. At what age did Irish children usually get confirmed?
Thanks
Jo
Arrowsmith,Richardson - Ormskirk,Lathom,Burscough,North Meols, Southport, Croston, Tarleton
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, we are cousins!
I descend from Bartholomew Brennan. His birth predates the start of the parish registers in Glynn by many years. Full details of the families on my Ancestry family tree.

The Brennan family graves are all in Whitechurch (Wilkinstown townland), not Barntown. That is the original medieval churchyard of Whitechurchglynn civil parish, not to be confused with the other (second) Whitechurch civil parish in Co. Wexford. As there are four Davidstown townlands in Wexford, I should also mention that the one in question is Davidstown, Glynn. [I have been told that Barntown is where the Cullens are buried].

Nicholas Brennan died on 20/4/1852, not 1856 - the latter date is a mistake on the gravestone.
The gravestone for Bartholomew Brennan is to the left of that for Nicholas, that for John to the right. There was also another brother, James, and probably some sisters.

The Julia/Johanna duality was a common feature of the time, for all the (many) Julia/Johannas in the family, and I have seen it in other families as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I had to scale this photo down to fit within size restrictions.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 December 20 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A Bartholomew Brennan, age 75 died in 1875 at Davidstown.  He is recorded as a smith (blacksmith) and married.  Mary Brennan was present at death.   Is this the man you're seeking help with?

Link below:-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020620/7234971.pdf

Regards

Yes, that is the Bartholomew Brennan in question, my great-great-grandfather. Just want to point out that the death registration says aged 79, not 75. 79 is also the age given on his headstone.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 December 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I have become a little mixed up between brothers and nephews.

I noticed that there are many online family trees for Nicholas, of the order of 10 or more, where he is misidentified with a nephew of his.

This Nicholas Brennan was born 1810 or earlier. His confirmation date may indicate earlier, which would be more in line with the births of his brothers in late 1790s.
His brother John had two sons named Nicholas, the first, baptised 19/9/1823, died before 1827, the second, born 6/2/1827, died 9/9/1852.

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your very full reply. This is much appreciated. I have found it a little difficult identifying records as I am unfamiliar with parish names and also civil registration districts. Are we 1st  2nd cousins many times removed?
Regards
Jo Cullen.
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your very full reply. This is much appreciated. I have found it a little difficult identifying records as I am unfamiliar with parish names and also civil registration districts. Are we 1st  2nd cousins many times removed?
Regards
Jo Cullen.

If we have the same number of generations, then we are 5th cousins, but I suspect you have an additional generation or two.
I am very familiar with the parishes, locations, registration districts, etc. I well remember visiting Whitechurch graveyard with my grandmother and her sisters for the pattern day each September, back in the 1960s.