Author Topic: Ireland Help with Eggins family  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Help with Eggins family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dundee,  Thank you for your additions to this story. Every little bit helps sort the issue. 

I am actually getting a bit lost here so this is how it is:

No. it is not a mixed family. 

I started with Ann Eggins,  her father is Joseph Eggins and he married someone named Ann XW.
Joseph Eggins and AnnXW had several children including Ann their daughter. born C1830.

Joseph and AnnXW had these children:
James Albert William Eggins
Joseph Eggins
Jane Eggins  she married Bacon
Mary Egins
and our Ann Eggins married Murphy -as below  then Peel as further below:

So Ann Eggins married Patrick Murphy when 16yrs old.   It was thought she came from Ireland  so I started searching.  I found her father and mother but no name surname for her mother Ann.

Ann  Eggins and Patrick Murphy had these children:
Alice Mary  Murphy  1847
   Edward   Murphy   1850
Arthur William Murphy 1851
Jane Ann Murphy 1856
 Joseph George Eggins Murphy 1858

After Patrick died in 1861 Ann  Murphy  formerly Eggins married Richard Peel in 1862

So Ann and Richard had two sons as far as I can find.
Robert Sidney Peel
Henry Joseph Peel  known as Henry Josiah or Josiah Henry Peel.

At some point Ann  and the Peel boys go to Australia and I believe Richard also did. Ann herself came in  1871 . This is the only record where she is in Queensland. Henry seems to have come in 1884.

Joseph Snr was born in Devonshire.  AnnWX may have be born in Ashwater. She died in 1870 in Westminster.

Hopefully we've all got it together. Well not quite- there are only 2 females that Ann had over the two marriages unless... but there are 7 supposedly deceased female children, food for thought     eh?.   

Excellent Debra thank you, this is icing on the cake.    I shall give those links a go and let you know what I find .

Thank you to everyone.   :) Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I started with Ann Eggins,  her father is Joseph Eggins and he married someone named Ann XW.
Joseph Eggins and AnnXW had several children including Ann their daughter. born C1830.

Joseph and AnnXW had these children:
James Albert William Eggins
Joseph Eggins
Jane Eggins  she married Bacon
Mary Egins

Do you have James Albert William in a census anywhere?

I can see a late baptism in 1849.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

unfortunately no.  I was looking last night and I did have about 6 different ones open but I had to close down and didn't get to save them.  I have seen it on about 6 trees on anst so it does need checking again.
 I do believe  he was baptised as an older child not a baby.
 Thanks for asking I shall try to find it again it is not on all the census.
I may have checked it on GRO or Freebmd. I shall recheck  in the next 24hrs it is midnight here and I have to get some sleep as I am out in the am early.  sorry about that. 
Thankyou for again  - it has to be spot on this has, 
Cheers Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The baptism at Old St Pancras, February 12th 1849

James William Albert Eggins , parents Joseph and Ann, abode St James Market , occ Plumber
Birth 9th April 1815

The occupation would apply to Joseph usually.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 December 20 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi heywood,

Thank you that is the family. He is the first child  Joseph Snr and AnnXW had.   The others are later spread out to 1829/30.    Yep I think you have hit the jackpot again. 

Thanks I really do appreciate all your help.
 Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 December 20 06:09 GMT (UK) »
I have no access but FindMyPast has mention of James Albert Eggins b 1817 in Merchant Seamen Records. There is also James A Eggins - 3 records in total.

Looking him up on Ancestry shows a published tree with the baptism already mentioned and reference to the Merchant Seamen record and gives a birth in Devonport.

This then implies  that Joseph and Ann were married before or about 1815.

Online wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:01 GMT (UK) »

I think it would be useful to your research to see these two records. Jane FRANCE likely left small children. Did her husband marry again?.  I do not see a marriage in QLD.   Who raised her children?
When did she arrive in QLD?.

There was much chain migration in the 19th century, and Ann PEEL might have had MURPHY / PEEL / EGGINS....other....... family in QLD.

The death certificate for Ann PEEL has a name recorded for her mother's family name.

Even though it would seem to be illegible, it would suggest that the children of Ann EGGINS know her name. You would hope to find other children of Ann EGGINS.....migrated to Australia?.......where such detail would be recorded on a death certificate in several states.

Marriage certificate for Josiah will record names of witnesses....might be extended family. It would also record name of father...Richard PEEL....with notation (dec) is such applies.

Richard PEEL is not easy to find in the Census records. 

Richard PEEL married, 1862, as a widower. Did he have children by the earlier marriage?

QLD BDM
1889/B/21569  Jane Anne France
Death 04/01/1889   parents Jane Anne EGGINS / Patrick MURPHY

Marriage registration:
1892/B/15715    Henry Josiah PEEL  marr. Harriet Louisa DAY

Are you a direct descendant of any of these  people named in this research?

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 December 20 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Joseph Eggins Snr married AnnXW  sometime C1815. A Banns Record for that would help matters.

I found the   Baptism record for James and the birth date so yes that correlates to marriage for his parents C 1815. 

I cannot fine the information about the seaman. I have looked on both search places and gone through the Murphy websites.  So the birth info is all that is needed.   That is enough on this piece and thank you for looking.  I am very grateful for your help.
Cheers,
Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 December 20 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

Richard Peel on Census not found by me either.
Peel/Murphy marriage 1862 I have  thank you.  This marriage produced two sons. Robert and Henry which I have.
Richard was previously married to Jane Forrester.  I have the Banns Record for this. Jane died C 1860/1. Richard had 3 or four small children by then.

Jane Ann France I have not any info on her and I have not found anything since I saw this that fits . 
I have Henry Josiah and his wife Harriet. They had several children. They were in Australia and there is information on them.

On the Asylum Record for Ann her mother's, AnnXW, maiden name is not readable on the digital copy and what is there has not been recorded on the Official Death Certificate which I purchased just in case it had been.  Also her age is marked in the margin as "not known".  Ann did have "Senile Decay".

As to direct relatives. Maybe.  I am helping a person who in some way is related to me as a cousin, along with others from Europe to whom I am directly related. It is not known right now how, but other information makes that pretty certain for the cousin. The link just needs to be found.
The cousin as asked me to try to find their Gt Gt Grandmother's maiden name and birth place as well as the birth places of that lady's  descendants.  I was given the basic information for the family which this topic covers and I think I have more or less achieved the answer to this quest.   The big issue is to try to find my cousin's father. 
I am very grateful for all that people have done to help with this and it is very much appreciated.   

Thanks Everyone. 
Essnell