Author Topic: Covid Vaccination  (Read 17926 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
The ONS tells me there are two and a quarter million over 80s in the uk, with 800,000 doses available now, 400.000 treatments, it’s going to take some time as everyone needs a second dose after approx three weeks.

Plus you cannot deliver the first dose unless you are absolutely sure the second dose is available, not just promised.

Mike

Somewhere I saw the population estimates for each of the vaccine priority groups but I can't find it now.  I remember that there were about 5.5 m over 75s but there were also care workers and NHS staff who had to be added in, which was then calculated as about 9 m  in the top 3 priorities.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
The ONS tells me there are two and a quarter million over 80s in the uk, with 800,000 doses available now, 400.000 treatments, it’s going to take some time as everyone needs a second dose after approx three weeks.

Plus you cannot deliver the first dose unless you are absolutely sure the second dose is available, not just promised.

Mike

Somewhere I saw the population estimates for each of the vaccine priority groups but I can't find it now.  I remember that there were about 5.5 m over 75s but there were also care workers and NHS staff who had to be added in, which was then calculated as about 9 m  in the top 3 priorities.

Don’t do the maths, it’s frightening  ;D ;D ;D ;D

From what I have seen it doesn’t come in ready loaded syringes, you have to draw dose out from bulk, some people may have to relearn skills they have not used for ages.   :) :) :)

Mike

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I have read that the second dose for those having the first dose is NOT being reserved, there is an assumption that more supplies will arrive before they are required; so all doses in the country can be used for first vaccinations.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I have read that the second dose for those having the first dose is NOT being reserved, there is an assumption that more supplies will arrive before they are required; so all doses in the country can be used for first vaccinations.

I read this, which makes more sense, as if a second dose didn't arrive on time for some reason the first dose would be wasted.

"The UK has ordered 40 million doses of the Pfizer jab, enough to vaccinate 20 million people, as people need to receive two doses.There are 800,000 doses in the first tranche, meaning that 400,000 people will be vaccinated initially.

The vaccines have been stored in undisclosed secure locations to ensure the security of the vaccine and of those storing and delivering it."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Ask their local surgery.
Fair bet it will be the same contact method as they get their flu jab invitation

This from "The Guardian" 2nd Dec about how to get a Covid-19 vaccination. I've heard the same message on BBC.
Q. "Should I contact my GP or pharmacy?"
A. "No. .... NHS will contact people once it's their turn to be vaccinated."

NHS don't want phone lines clogged up with thousands of people enquiring about Coronavirus vaccinations. It's a case of waiting until you're sent for. A health official person said the other day that over-80's shouldn't be anxious if they don't get an appointment this month.
Logistics of this are far more complex than for annual flu vaccines. The cavalry might have arrived but it's the health service infantry who are now mobilising.
Each consignment from Belgium is electronically tracked. I heard an interview today with an overseer of Belgian ports. The news item was about Brexit. He said freight in & out of Belgian ports was flowing freely as normal, unlike French and British ports. UK gov. has a contingency plan to use M.o.D. to fly in COVID-19 vaccines if necessary.   

Cowban

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 20 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes it does have to be drawn up from a vial. Each vial has enough for 5 people.

I learnt this yesterday as a friend who has done a lot of volunteering at her local hospital this year was helping with the vaccinations. They were checking temperatures and details of the recipients before it was administered by a medic. At the end of the session once all the bookings had been done there was 2 doses left. The medic in charge asked her and the other helper if they would like to be vaccinated as it would be wasted otherwise. She was surprised and thrilled, well deserved I say with all the volunteering and charity fundraising she’s done this year.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I read that when GP surgeries start giving the vaccine, it will be certain local GP 'hubs' which will do it, not each individual practice.

This would be much more efficient & also if any of the vaccinees (I just made that word up haha) have the virus when they arrive, it contains the spread.

I had my diabetic retinopathy eye check done last week at a medical centre in the town, the young technician said most GP surgeries are not hosting this service at the moment for that reason.
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 December 20 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's what the receptionist at my doctor's said when I spoke to her today re arranging a blood test. She said as far as she knew it is at the local hospital at the moment, but other places will be made available as more people are invited to have it. The problem with it being at the hospital is the lack of parking, so most people will have to go by bus. I don't fancy that. Ideally they need somewhere with a large car park.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »
For us, they intend to use the local large hall and free parking for those being vaccinated.  Volunteers to  be recruited to serve as stewards/marshalls.  Just announced on local town facebook page.