Author Topic: William Penneystone, (also spelt many different ways, i.e Peniston)  (Read 448 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Penneystone, (also spelt many different ways, i.e Peniston)
« on: Wednesday 09 December 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, can you help me in solving a who dunnitt?

I found the following which, at the time i believed was a my relative. It was an article relating to Lobster House Petty Sessions from the Yorkshire Gazette dated 10/12/1859,  I assume it should read....."labourers, all of Haxby", it states

"J. Agar, Esq., and the Rev. F. Simpson, William Pennystone, Francis Driffield, and William Pullan, labourers, all of IIaxby, were summoned for assanlting Mr. Bell, landlord of the Castle Howard Ox, Groves, on the sth ult. Fined 55., and costs 12s"

I based my assumption on the 1851 Haxby Census where you will see William Penneystone, (Ag Lab, born c1816) wife Jane. However, if you look at the 1861 Census you will see another William Penneystone, (Platelayer born c1821), wife Mary. I don't think they are one of the same person as they have different places of birth, but I am open to offers!!

I have checked and one of the other men charged, a Frances Driffield, who is a brick maker, is on both the 1851 and 1861 census at Haxby. However i cannot find a William Pullan at Haxby anywhere. I have also tried to find my William Penneystone on the 1861 census, but no luck.

I did contact York Archives who told me that they do not have any 19th century records for the court, (i understand the petty sessions were later renamed Magistrates courts).

I just favour it may be the Penneystone on the 1851 census as he had a son, George, and I have found from the York Herald dated 15th January 1859, (and yes, i know, you can't allege criminalty on the deeds of their father, or in this case visa versa!)

"Robbery at llaxby.—On Wednesday, at Messrs. Seymour's olfice, in this city, before T. Barstow, Esq., and J. Agar, Esq., George Penneystone, a small farmer, was charged with having stolen about two quarters of barley, of the value of 10s., the property of"

I also have something from a court just showing a George (Penneystone?),name, charge and sentence, (its from the 5th April 1859 Easter sessions at Northallerton). Can't remember where i got this from, probably FindMyPast.com). So I guess the same applies to George, would there be any other records of the court?

So can anyone help? I would hope there would be petty session records somewhere showing the age of the 3 defendants in the case. Does anyone know where they may be? I really would like to find out as the Castle Howard Ox pub still exists in York and I would love to surprise my sister when we go there.

Many thanks for reading this post.

Regards

Eric

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Penneystone, (also spelt many different ways, i.e Peniston)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric.
Here is the entry from the 1861 census, Singleton Building, Haxby Moor, Haxby. RG9/3543/folio 10/page 13
William Penneyston, head marr aged 40yrs, Platelayer, born Storwood, Yorks,
Mary wife aged 36yrs Charwomen, born Sowerby, Yorks,
John son aged 9yrs Scholar born York,
Benjamin son aged 5yrs, scholar, born Shipton, Yorks
Elizabeth Smith border, aged 2yrs, born Thirsk, Yorks.
Might just rule him out, or not.
Phil (gogogadgetlegs)
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Gogogadgetlegs, I think you have attached the wrong stuff to your post.

I actually obtained the marriage certificate of the 1861 William Penneystone and found out despite a different wife, different occupation and different place of birth on the census he was the same William Penneystone that was on the 1851 census!! The marriage certificate had him as born 1816. he was a widower, a labourer and married a Widow Mary Tranmar on 24/4/1860.

The wife, Jane Wood, shown on the 1851 census died at Haxby in 1857. Just shows how easy it is  to get blow off course with your research.

Regards

Eric

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Gogogadgetlegs, wrong person!