Author Topic: Trealaw Cemetery - Locate & Photo memorial please: Section & Grave No supplied  (Read 181 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trealaw Cemetery - Locate & Photo memorial please: Section & Grave No supplied
« on: Wednesday 09 December 20 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I've read through some wonderfully helpful posts on this topic and believe "Cardiff" was doing look-ups over past years.
I am retired and volunteer research for the Metropolitan Police[London] Roll of Honour. I am focusing on the tragedy which occurred at Kilburn, NW London during an air-raid on 5th/6th November, 1940. As a result of a direct hit by an exploding bomb early on the morning of the 6th, thirteen officers were killed in the worst incident involving the police force for the whole of WW2.

One of those killed was was Clifford Howell Davies age 27, buried 11.11.1940 Advice from the very obliging cemetery staff confirms the Plot as "X" 1199 and they have provided me with digital images of the cemetery lay-out and specifically the "X" section diagram. This transpires to be the family grave as details below demonstrate.

It would appear the first name on any headstone (if extant) would be his father, David Davies (70) 5.3.1940, then Clifford H Davies 6.11.1940 and his mother, Martha Jane (85) 9.11.1955.

If there is anyone who is prepared to visit the cemetery I would very much appreciate an image of the Grave and a close-up of any inscription on a headstone. I will attach the files for the location when I am able to submit a personal message and use that facility.

Plot 'X' 1199 is situated 2 Rows inwards from any border with adjacent 'W' Section-if there is a pathway between, and just over halfway down from the top, or northern end of the sections in that area. Sadly experience dictates section 'markers' in many cemeteries are often removed through no fault of cemetery staff, resulting in visitors using their experience to gain any satisfaction of a successful find. I do not take it for granted it is an easy task in such circumstances.
Thank you for any responses. Keith :)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trealaw Cemetery - Locate & Photo memorial please: Section & Grave No supplied
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 20 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
I will be up in that sort of area sometime in the next week, when the weather is suitable, so will be happy to make a short detour to try and find the grave and take some images or you. I have a copy of the plan and can see where section X is. I've been there before and failed to find exact graves, but they didn't have  headstones.
Sam

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trealaw Cemetery - Locate & Photo memorial please: Section & Grave No supplied
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sam, Great news. I appreciate how much it takes to take on an additional 'trek' around cemeteries, so will be very grateful if you find something and the weather is favourable. As a new user I can't find how to attach the jpeg images I had sent to me by the cemetery officer in respect of the 'X' section. I ill try to send you a Personal Message and add them to that if that's OK? best regards, Keith

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
I've had your message and I've sent a reply  :).

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Just replied with 2 messages to a PM with some images to locate the grave in Section 'X'. Keith

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keith all come through, so looking at the plans to locate the grave