Author Topic: ancestry problems  (Read 1791 times)

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
ancestry problems
« on: Thursday 10 December 20 08:40 GMT (UK) »
 >:( has anyone else had problems with ancestry ive replied to message its its sent 3 times i then replied sorry dont know whats happened there and its sent 3 times alsom it says person is typing but never got the message

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry problems
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I never see any indication on Ancestry that someone else is typing.

Are you thinking of FaceBook?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 09:03 GMT (UK) »
no im on ancestry it says person is typing im more concerned abt multiple messages

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
       Several times lately, I have posted a message in reply to another member's search for somebody on their tree, and it has appeared not once but four times.       Each time it happened, I just deleted three of them, and hope that Ancestry will get it sorted out soon.    ...It doesn't worry me too much if other people are getting the same problem.        It isn't a problem that is unique to my own laptop - that's the main thing.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I keep getting the message to accept cookies every few pages I view, it's getting very irritating!

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 20 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm on ancestry.ca and it's just sooooo slooooow today!  And when the record finally goes to the person, it goes in twice!  Just added four children, and it's added each one twice.  What a pain!

As for the messaging system - as some else said Mess of a system would be a more accurate description.   :P

Ah well...

Keep smiling

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 December 20 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Im on Ancestry Canada also.  Its always been poor.
Don't bother phoning them.  They have two answers Clear your cache and we have never heard of this problem.
The duplicate or triple messages or records is because of lag in their servers.  You hit enter and nothing happens except a waiting for ancestery.ca so you push again etc so it enters it every time you push enter. 
  It cant be our ISP in my opinion as I am sure we are in totally different parts of the country.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 December 20 12:54 GMT (UK) »
The site is very slow, I think it could be due to the site advertising all these DNA testing kits, and people have jumped on the bandwagon and the site just cannot take it. It has been playing up for the past 3 years or so, slow results. When I type in a name for UK records, I still get irrelevant American and Australian stuff, as it says "All collections" so I have to keep resetting it to just UK and Ireland. I used to have it just set on UK and Ireland once and it left US and Australian stuff out.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:22 GMT (UK) »
If you use the option to "Search on Ancestry" from the central "sources" column, it retains your previously chosen focus for collections (eg in my case by default I search Scotland first since the vast majority of my family are in Scotland). The same applies if you use the Search button from the options in the top left.

If you use the option under the facts for a person where it has options like "Possible Marriage Records" in a blue dotted box, with a green search box, it uses "all collections" - which also sets that as your chosen focus, so the other options will now show "all collections" as well.

So basically just avoid using the green search button in the person's facts, and it should keep your chosen focus for searches.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)