Author Topic: Ill-fitting masks  (Read 3819 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-fitting masks
« Reply #45 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the scientists amongst you can answer this one for me - We are told that we should wash our hands with soap as the soap and friction break down the virus's outer coating. So why are we told that we should wash face masks in 60 degree or hotter water? Surely the soap would do the job in hand hot water?

Not all studies say that tbh.  Application of hear is an additional factor in increasing the chance of denaturing the virus. There have been studies showing that washing at 40C is sufficient with some studies showing non-biological powders better than biological ones. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you PharmaT.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:27 GMT (UK) »

That should be application of heat obviously. Why predictive text thought I mean hear I have no idea.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
It has a mind of its own! I got the gist of what you had said, thank you.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »

That should be application of heat obviously. Why predictive text thought I mean hear I have no idea.

Just shows we read what we expect to be there, I didn't even notice that.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 11 December 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Like the point about non-bio powder. I come up in itchy rashes if ever I use bio powder, even if I add extra rinses.
Like Pharma T I wash my masks after each use and more or less rotate them. I modified a couple of available patterns until I got a really good fit, and make them with quite soft elastics, and metal nose- bits, and as I said, by modifying available patterns have managed a good fit on cheeks, and even got a decent shape to "lodge" my glasses on. Did the same for OH, (although I don't let him out at present, 'cos he's asthmatic!)
I also use disposable gloves when in supermarket, and peel them back when I get into the car, abd apply sanitiser to unload. (Can't decide if I really ought to add another pair to drive and unload, suppose I ought to, really.)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 11 December 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Like the point about non-bio powder. I come up in itchy rashes if ever I use bio powder, even if I add extra sinses.
Like Pharma T I wash my masks after each use and more or less rotate them. I modified a couple of available patterns until I got a really good fit, and make them with quite soft elastics, and metal nose- bits, and as I said, by modifying available patterns have managed a good fit on cheeks, and even got a decent shape to "lodge" my glasses on. Did the same for OH, (although I don't let him out at present, 'cos he's asthmatic!)
I also use disposable gloves when in supermarket, and peel them back when I get into the car, abd apply sanitiser to unload. (Can't decide if I really ought to add another pair to drive and unload, suppose I ought to, really.)

I don't bother with gloves as they are potentilly another vector.  I sanitise my hands, get a trolley, clean it, sanitise my hands again, get to car, sanitise hands, open car load up, sanitise again, drive home, unload, wash hands, sanitise shopping in batches (where able to)  washing hand between batches then sanitise the surface used at the end and wash hands again. Although I try and plan to avoid going to a shop where possible.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 11 December 20 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I can only hope that at the end of a palaver along those lines people feel really safe even if no skin left on your hands and they are really sore.

Is it worth it?  I have never done any of that and I am currently as safe as those who do, without the time consuming tasks and the rawness of hands or the cost of lots of masks and gloves and bottles of sanitiser.

I agree minimise risk but it seems there is some OCD about routines/procedures and heaven help those people who have previously been diagnosed with OCD.

I can't actually see that it is achieving anything other than making you feel safer but if so then thats a help.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 December 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »

Is it worth it?  I have never done any of that and I am currently as safe as those who do, without the time consuming tasks and the rawness of hands or the cost of lots of masks and gloves and bottles of sanitiser

Pheno

Are you actually saying that you don't bother to wear a mask?  Or have I misunderstood?
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk