Author Topic: Ill-fitting masks  (Read 3821 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-fitting masks
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
If we have to wear masks indefinitely will future generations have ears that stick out more?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes Heywood I’d had the thought that lipstick sales must have plummeted this year  ;D

I was just at a zoom meeting and that thought dawned on me then. I actually put blusher on too!

Not just me then...It's all so much part of my routine, putting the Face on that I automatically put the lippy on before going out...inly when I take the mask off and see that I have kissed it do I realise  ;D ;D ;D It's just a well that we have to change them every day!!!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I just put a bit more make up my eyes. I won’t go out without it  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
To go back to the original post - last week when I was having a doorstep chat to a friend a police office was visiting a house across the road from me, his mask was across his mouth but not his nose. I felt like shouting 'I hope you're going to put that on properly!'. These are the people who are sitting in cars at the borders of my tier 3 area, waiting to collar anyone going into the neighbouring tier 2 area.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry we digressed.
Yes it is odd that people still have not taken it on board that it should be worn in a particular way and as has been pointed out, even the P M didn’t do it yesterday. Not a good example.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I sell age restricted goods & often have to ask people if I can see their features...

It's surprising how many actually go to the extremes of removing their mask by the ear(s), sometimes pulling down hoods etc...

All they need do is pull the mask down to their chin, no need to remove.

On the other hand, there are the ones who question why I need them to show their features which often comes with abuse, telling me they're 'x' age!  ::)

I politely tell them, if I was as good as be able to tell the ages of people by pairs of eyes I wouldn't be in the job I am.

Seems people can't think sensibly in this day & age...if the answer isn't on their phones they're stumped!  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm heartily sick of TV interviews with people whose masks don't cover their noses.  Even the PM's nose was clearly visible yesterday in an interview.  Why don't the cameramen tell them to cover up?  We all surely know by now that both mouth and nose should be covered.  ::)

p.s. Ever tried putting on and taking off a mask when wearing a woolly hat which covers the ears?  It's a tricky business.

My daughter says someone with their nose hanging out is more annoying than someone not wearing a mask at all.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I sell age restricted goods & often have to ask people if I can see their features...

It's surprising how many actually go to the extremes of removing their mask by the ear(s), sometimes pulling down hoods etc...

All they need do is pull the mask down to their chin, no need to remove.

On the other hand, there are the ones who question why I need them to show their features which often comes with abuse, telling me they're 'x' age!  ::)

I politely tell them, if I was as good as be able to tell the ages of people by pairs of eyes I wouldn't be in the job I am.

Seems people can't think sensibly in this day & age...if the answer isn't on their phones they're stumped!  ;D

Annie

but to pull it down you are touching the front and and then allowing the inside of the mask to touch previously exposed skin potentially picking up contamination.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Trouble is masks don't stay where they are put.  As soon as I put the mask over the end of my nose it rapidly travels upwards until it is sitting on the bit between my eyes - and then I can't see anything!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire