Author Topic: Ill-fitting masks  (Read 3806 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-fitting masks
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 December 20 20:23 GMT (UK) »
My OH has stopped wearing his hearing aids if he’s going out anywhere and has to wear a mask, as he can’t cope with mask and aids and hand gel! Trouble is he doesn’t hear very well without his aids .........
North East of England

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 December 20 20:24 GMT (UK) »
The problem I can see re pulling down masks rather than removing it from one ear is the strain it puts on the elastic. If you are asked to do this several times when you are out, it could stretch or even snap it. I have yet to find a mask that is really comfortable.

The only time people are asked to show their features is to make sure they are of legal age to buy age restricted goods so how many times they buy those in a day is the question as one should use a clean mask each day?

I think you'll find that PharmaT is better qualified than most of us to comment on how to use a face mask.  :)

I don't think you need qualifications on what I stated earlier, common sense only as I don't see any problem pulling it down with finger & thumb for about 3 - 5 seconds or do without your alcohol, cigs, lighter, medication...

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Wearing a face mask with a hearing aid in each ear + glasses - very awkward, my ears don't seem to have enough space for all the bits required to sit on them  ;D 
After shopping I got in the car, removed my mask & left hearing aid promptly pinged off. I had to get out & scrabble around under the seat to find it. Thank goodness I was inside the car - a few weeks ago out on the dog walk I removed one hearing aid as battery ran down, put it in my pocket - the same one I keep poo bags in. Got home, no hearing aid. Went back to the spot in the lane where I thought I got the bag out of my pocket & searched the long grass..... Hahaha unsurprisingly no sign.

The local hospital audiology department are excellent, they sent me out a new one in the post straightaway - but charged me £65 for stupidity. (my word not theirs)

I'm VERY careful removing masks now

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I saw someone the other day with what looked like a hair band (similar in width) over their head with a button on each side where the face mask was then looped onto...very innovative!

May help those with hearing aids & glasses?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:40 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like a good idea.
At Rochdale Hosp someone is in the doorway,you have to use one of their masks, even if you are wearing your own.
You are only allowed to the Dept you want five minutes before your appt time.
Those masks are much hotter and stuffier than those we can get but  how the Nurses and Drs who wear them do it all day I don ‘t know.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I saw someone the other day with what looked like a hair band (similar in width) over their head with a button on each side where the face mask was then looped onto...very innovative!

May help those with hearing aids & glasses?

Annie

I made a lot of those headbands with buttons on for a friend whose Son & DiL are hospital doctors... reason for wearing them is  to loop elastic round rather than ears... constant daily wearing of masks makes ears sore... great idea and it works.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 December 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
You can also get a plastic fitting for the mask to loop onto that sits at the back of your head as I saw a woman wth a hijab on using one so doesnt go over your ears.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 December 20 09:58 GMT (UK) »
You can also get a plastic fitting for the mask to loop onto that sits at the back of your head as I saw a woman wth a hijab on using one so doesnt go over your ears.

My 9 year-old grandson was making some of those on his 3D printer :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 December 20 11:24 GMT (UK) »

I think you'll find that PharmaT is better qualified than most of us to comment on how to use a face mask.  :)

I don't think you need qualifications on what I stated earlier, common sense only as I don't see any problem pulling it down with finger & thumb for about 3 - 5 seconds or do without your alcohol, cigs, lighter, medication...

Annie

But many people would not be that careful when removing the mask for you.   :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk