Author Topic: Help understanding 1830s Criminal Petitions Records  (Read 629 times)

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help understanding 1830s Criminal Petitions Records
« on: Thursday 10 December 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My 4xG-Grandfather, Thomas Walker was transported to NSW for 14 years after being convicted of Felony at the North Riding Quarter Sessions in April 1828 (arrived on Lord Melville 1829).

In 1835 a petition was lodged on his behalf by local magistrates amongst others. At the top of the petition is the notation "Ov 37" and I think at the foot of the first page it is "Answered 23 July 1835".

I have found another record in the HO19 series which I think shows that the petition had "Nil" result. However the date for conviction is given as April 1835 (not 1828). I have looked for other Thomas Walkers convicted 1835 and do not find a match. The "Ov 37" notation appears again in this document as part of the result column.

Thomas Walker was granted a Ticket of Leave in 1836 (then 1839 and 1841) and granted a Certificate of Freedom in 1843 (end of his 14 yr sentence).

- Does the date of sentence mean this is not my Thomas Walker, or could 1835 be referring to something else?
-Does anybody know what the "Ov 37" notation means?
-Am I correct in thinking Nil means nothing was done based on the petition?

I will attach some screenshots of the document that is causing me confusion.

Many thanks for any help on this (RootsChatters in Australia are being a great help in other areas of this research).

Caroline

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding 1830s Criminal Petitions Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I would say it's a mistake by the clerk entering the details in the ledger. He's written 1835 instead of 1828. Everything else ties in, including the reference Ov 37.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun,

that's my feeling too, but I don't want to fall into the trap of "seeing what I want to see".

The "Ov 37" does seem to be some sort of reference tying it to the petition that was submitted, unless somebody knows of this being an abbreviation for something else?

Cheers

Caroline

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
The "Ov 37" does seem to be some sort of reference tying it to the petition that was submitted, unless somebody knows of this being an abbreviation for something else?

Just to confirm that Ov 37 is the original ‘bundle’ reference, allocated when the petitions were originally held by government, before their transfer to the National Archives. Each reference is unique to a petition, so if the same reference appears in both records it will be the same Thomas Walker.

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Bookbox. That was my suspicion but it's great to have it confirmed.

Cheers

Caroline