Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 10th December  (Read 280 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 10th December
« on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Went to unlock the front door this morning ready for my parcel delivery that I'd been notified was only a few stops away. Was horrified to find that I'd left the door unlocked all night, in fact it had been unlocked all day and evening too, I  lock it when I come in after my walk. No idea why I'd forgotten or why I didn't check it before going to bed. Felt even worse when I read in the local news that only a couple of miles away a woman had disturbed a burglar in her kitchen at 7.30 am.

Our for a walk late morning  it was a cold day and quite cloudy. Could do with a change of scenery but I still like to see how the woods are changing with the seasons.

Had trouble kicking myself into action after lunch, I feel much more like curling up and relaxing with a good book at this time of year. There were several things I wanted to do so got on with it. Read the meters, arranged to freeze my gym membership for a further two months, will see how things are then. I needed to delve into the back of the upstairs cupboard to look for another picture frame and after I'd pulled everything out I realised it made more sense to keep them on a shelf instead of some box files that were there. I heaved a lot of things about and swapped them over, I don't really need access to the files. I'll probably be covered in bruises tomorrow after bashing myself about so much. I also have several strips of carpet offcuts stored in the cupboard, I don't really know if I need to keep them or what for. One of those things we just seem to hang onto.
I was going to paint some of the picture frames but postponed it, it gets dark so early now. Only eleven days after today till it starts getting lighter again. I read today that a new clinical trial is to take place to test whether vitamin D supplements will help fight coronavirus. The people selected for trials will be those who are deficient in vitamin D.

I haven't been for a walk with my friend J for several weeks as she was having to self isolate after her daughter tested positive and then J caught Covid herself. I had been dubious about whether it was safe to meet her this week but the time frames meant it was ok so we arranged to meet tonight. It was cold so I wrapped up well, we're limited to walking around the streets at the moment but it was good to have company and a relief to know that she's well. She said she'd spent a day mostly sleeping but other than that and losing her sense of taste and smell she was okay. She's got both of those back now. Lots of Christmas lights on the houses we passed.

Was glad of the central heating when I got home. Very tired tonight, art class tomorrow, the last one till next year. I look forward to the time when we can attend the classes in person again.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 10th December
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Im very impressed with all your cupboard sorting Roobarb.... youre making me feel more guilty every time I read youve done another one 😢...
Im glad to hear your friend J has recovered and youre able to see her for a walk..
We take vit D tablets every day during the winter when youre not outside as much and little sunshine... our Son has badgered us for a long time to take them, when I heard they were supposed to help against covid it seemed a good idea..
Weve left our front door unlocked on numerous occasions but we have an alarm we set at night so as soon as the porch door was opened into the hall the alarm goes off! I once went to work in the summer having left our patio doors wide opened, neighbour phoned me to tell me then popped over to shut them! OH has left the garage door open all night on occasions too....

Today was an early start as we had to take my car for its MOT... not been to the local town where the garage is since last year.... lots of shops closed down making it look more drab than it usually does...
dropped off a few cards to save postage!
on the way home I called into the butchers for some meat and to enquire about a turkey and nearly had heart failure when he told me the cost... said Id think about it!... stopped at the coop as Id got quite a lot of money on a voucher so bought bits and bobs... finally the post office.... after Id taken a small mortgage I bought some second class stamps!
Had to take a detour on the way home as the road to the village was closed... not sure why so did several miles to come in the way wed gone out...
Just pulled up the drive when the garage phoned to say car was ready and had passed...
Quick cup of coffee, stuck all the stamps on... thank goodness theyre self adhesive... popped them in the letter box which seemed quite full and certainly a lot fuller after Id posted mine!
Called in at M&S for C & C, was very busy but managed to dodge people and only person at C&C desk...
Popped a few more through doors on the way home after collecting my car...
Late lunch by the time we got home...
Did some paperwork sorting as its gradually piled  up on the end of kitchen counter... mostly OHs... filed it away..mostly in the recycle box or the shredder!
Colour ink cartridge running out in the printer... my theyre costly... cheapest place I found it was sadly on Amazon by about 10 which is staggering... only trouble wont arrive till after new year... if I paid 6 more Id get it by end of next week.... how the heck do they work that out for exactly the same item!
We had a game of scrabble... I wiped the floor with him... he wasnt happy but now Im just two down!
Dinner was pork in breadcrumbs baked in the oven... have to say left over bread from OHs baking makes lovely coating with added lemon zest... sliced potatoes with mushroom and onion, broccoli...
Watched some tv... finished reading my book...
For a change a day of doing something... felt really strange to be out and about!
Poured with rain all evening and still doing so...

Hope everyone else is ok ...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, although I've done the kitchen ones I can't say I've really done the upstairs cupboard, it's still a job in progress. I just get so sick of it after hauling stuff out, sorting some of it and putting the rest back, I have to do it in stages. So please don't feel guilty! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who forgets to lock the door,

What a busy day you've had, perhaps the money you saved on hand delivering cards can go towards the butcher's bill! Be careful about the ink cartridge, a lot of the items that have a long wait for delivery are coming from China or Hong Kong, check the seller details. Good news that your car passed its test  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for pointing out possible sellers of the ink cartridge... this ones based in Jersey...
Having watched the next programme about Amazon thats one of the things they say to lookout for amongst other tips... its well worth watching them...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 December 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Think I managed to beat you both for excitement yesterday.......................
I impaled the car aerial in the garage door which decided to close as I was reversing out.
That delayed me for a time, but as I wasn't rushing to catch a plane it didn't matter much!!
 :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 20 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear MH!!  :o :o  I suppose you have to be grateful that it was just the aerial and nothing more expensive.  :-\

Caroline, I only saw the last one but definitely some worthwhile things to pick up from the programmes about Amazon. Mind you, I tried the tip for getting a 30% discount and it didn't work!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham