Author Topic: Diary - Friday 11th December  (Read 892 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 11th December
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 December 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I watched the Tudor Christmas too. I do hope it cheered you up a bit Viktoria.
I think most of us are feeling rather miserable right now, the poor weather and short hours of daylight, but your health problems make everything so much worse, and I join with your other RC chums in hoping they can be alleviated very soon.
As to Christmas, truly I feel your pain, but I know you are such a pragmatic lady you will lift up your chin, and grin, (etc.....)  Just as most of us shall.  Though everything is entirely lousy.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 11th DecembeOcean,
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 December 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, as you say perhaps on 18th things will get sorted a bit better.
I have just checked and either sea is a good way from China, Barents is part of North Atlantic ,East of Spitsbergen.
Bering ,part of N.Pacific ,between the Aleutian Islands and the Bering Strait which separates Asia from N.America,and which connects with the Arctic Ocean.
So a few food miles there!
It is the same with Young’s breaded Haddock,  packed in China.
Wonder can Covid be transported in food?

Such heavy rain here ,no let up and I have a few more cards to hand deliver.
They can wait a day or two more.
Must make that Dundee cake today.
Have made some already ,but nice as presents or just to have in .

Good news the babies are suckling, a friend had a Prem  baby way back in the fifties ,she expressed  and other babies got the essential antibodies so
necessary, she went to the hospital every day to see her own baby and give milk for the “ bank”.
I worked on the Prem baby unit at what is now North Manchester Hospital.
It was 61 years ago and the difference ———Phew!
Primitive then by comparison.
Amazing now.

Lovely programme this morning re Carol singing in Yorkshire.
Many very local tunes which our headmaster at one school knew being a Yorkshireman and Brass band player to boot .
We compiled a collection recorded by a local band including Hail  Smiling Morn, his favourite.A little retirement present.
And there was a Turkey dog ,in the program ,a dog rounding up free range turkeys in the evening to get them in safely away from the Fox.Amazing.
Well must get on, ,lots of little jobs to get out of the way that are irritating me.
A drink first ,must keep drinking .
Cheerio everyone, thanks again ,it will pass , and if I settle to being here it takes pressure off for packing and worst of all DECIDING !  —- what to take and what to leave!Then bring a good bit home unworn!
Proper cheerio for now.
Viktoria.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 December 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hail smiling morn brought back happy memories Victoria.  From 1987 to 2002 I lived in Penistone and attended a church in Stockbridge which had 2 Carol services the local carol service which had a queue to get in and a Carol Service with the usual tunes. The first year was a little strange but I soon got used to it.

I’m just looking through my carol book by the Worrall Male Voice Choir and reliving those times again.

My favourite was While shepherds watched their flocks by night to Sweet chiming Christmas Bells and Christmas Tree when the men rushed in with oh ho, oh ho, ho ho ho ho ho.

Thanks for the memory.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 December 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
He was a lovely man, the school rang with laughter.
We went to the Lake District ,Youth Hostel at Esk Dale  every year.
One little girl so wanted to go but had mobility problems
He carried her on his shoulders - for much of the time.
He was known ,when an irate teacher took a miscreant to him for punishment ( corporal punishment was not not outlawed at that time) set the pupil to painting benches etc .
Many children came back to talk to him when in trouble at secondary school .
The girl he carried on his shoulder cane in to school now and then when her Mum was delayed .
The front door would slam open “ MR.———!”
“ Hello”
“ Will you look after me ,me Mums not in ,”
When a very little girl in reception she used to make something  that looked like scissors from a construction kit but about a foot long ,she would go to his “ open door “ office and cut his none existent  hair ! It was like cutting a hedge ,snap snap!
He just sat doing his office work.!
For over 30 years he visited once a week a man in a WW1 veteran’s hospital.
The man was blind ,deaf and immobile .
No other visitors went.I am talking of the  50 ‘s 60’ s 70 ‘s .
Yes a lovely man.
Viktoria