Author Topic: Micheal Kelly  (Read 787 times)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Micheal Kelly
« on: Saturday 12 December 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
As some of you will spot, I am still trying to pin down my Irish family of Kelly.  I have understood that my great-gran Sarah Kelly was born in Queens County in 1853 - that's what it says on her wedding certificate, also on the cert was her father's name Michael Kelly occupation bricklayer. She married in Manchester to William Mather in 1873.
Someone on Ancestry has recently connected my Sarah Kelly as someone in their Tree with a father named Michael Kelly who was from Tipperary 1821-1893, as was his father, also Michael,1763-1829 who died in Louisiana,USA. 
He pointed out that on the 1881 Census Sarah was born in Manchester although her marriage cert says Queens County and that on the 1861 census in Ormskirk she was listed as being born in Huyton St.,Ormskirk.
Can anyone help me pin down the right Sarah and where she was born  Any help appreciated.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I have understood that my great-gran Sarah Kelly was born in Queens County in 1853 - that's what it says on her wedding certificate, also on the cert was her father's name Michael Kelly occupation bricklayer. She married in Manchester to William Mather in 1873.

The marriage certificate does not give her place of birth.  Her address at the time was 50 Upper Baxter St, Hulme - William Mather had the same address

ADDED Marriage was June 6th 1873 - she was 21
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
1891 census (Bradford) gives her place of birth as Queens County, Ireland
RG12/ 3641 Folio 140 Page   27

1901 - (back in Manchester) it just says Ireland, later census has Queens County

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie - yes, I knew her and William were down as the same address on marriage, I do actually have the marriage certificate with the Hulme address but born Queens County.  Thanks for the Bradford 1891 Census showing Queens. 
I don't know how I can prove which is right!  I'm going to try and track some of the suggested siblings Mary 1846 in Mayo, Ann, John and Bridget.  The person who is telling me she was born in Ormskirk says that Sarah and 2 of her siblings were born there.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
English marriage certificates do not give a place of birth.  The image is on Ancestry

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I beg your pardon, I must have read it on the Census :-[

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I have found a Bridget Kelly, I have her birth as 1860 on the 1901 Census in Queens County living with mother Mary - its a possible sibling.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »
It honestly sound to me like someone hopping on a link suggested by Ancestry without checking it.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely!! >:(  I just wish I could find the right family to prove him wrong!!