Author Topic: OPRs  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OPRs
« on: Saturday 12 December 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the births of William Cowie and Margaret Martin around 1811. They were both in Peterhead in 1841 aged 30. They were married in Peterhead in 1835 "both of this Parish" with William from Round Hillock, which I believe is at Inverugie. I have a document written by their son which says William was born in the Parish of St. Fergus (which was in Bannfshire at this point). I had a look on the NRS website and as far as I can see the OPRs exist. Is there anything else I can try to track them down?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: OPRs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The OPRs are all digitised and available to view (pay-per-view) at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian I missed that important detail out, I couldn't find them on Scotlands People.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Ah.

Have you got them in any later census, say 1851 and 1861? If so, and if they died in Scotland, go for their death certificates, which should tell you the names of their parents including their mothers' maiden names.

Remember that in 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so someone aged 30 could have been born any time between 8 June 1806 and 7 June 1811, assuming their age is accurate.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is them in 1841?

Queen Street, Peterhead:
William Cowie, 30, ag lab
Margaret, 30
George, 4
William, 1

If so, this could be the children in 1851

North Street, Fetterangus, Old Deer:
Isobella (sic) Brown, 61, widow, letter carrier, b. Old Deer
George Cowie, grandson, 14, scholar, b. Peterhead
William Cowie, grandson, 12, scholar, b. Peterhead

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 20 00:31 GMT (UK) »
William and Margaret are in the 1841 census at Peterhead with 2 sons George (4) and William (1)
I cannot find the parents after that date, but in 1851 the 2 boys are in Fetterangus with their grandmother Isobella BROWN (61) https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5902672be9379091b1cbefd2/george-cowie-1851-aberdeenshire-old-deer-1837-?locale=en

Some baptisms from SP index
COWIE   GEORGE   WILLIAM COWIE/   M   25/05/1837   232/    40 83   Peterhead
COWIE   WILLIAM   WILLIAM COWIE/   M   13/02/1842   232/    40 173   Peterhead
COWIE   ALEXANDER   WILLIAM COWIE/   M   23/05/1842   232/    40 178   Peterhead
COWIE   ELIZABETH   WILLIAM COWIE/   F   25/10/1844   232/    40 230   Peterhead

These are burial records – father and daughter Elizabeth
COWIE   WILLIAM   -----   40   M   02/03/1850   232/    50 177   Peterhead

COWIE   ELIZABETH   -----   4   F   31/10/1848   232/    50 165   Peterhead
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 20 00:37 GMT (UK) »
 Baptism for William?

COWIE WILLIAM
ANDREW COWIE/ISABEL BROWN
M
20/04/1810
228/20 265
Old Deer
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 20 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is them in 1841, unfortunately Margaret died in 1848, as did George and William died 1850. Young William and another son Alexander were in Ugie Street poor relief hostel in 1851. There is another Cowie family in Peterhead with very similar names and ages. The children of this family end up with Isobel Brown in 1851 as these parents died also. I believe there was a cholera outbreak in Peterhead in the late 1840's. I think I found Williams death in the lost at sea records but no details of parents. Alexander who is my direct ancestor can not find his death either, his youngest son was born 1887 and he is not on the 1891 census.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 December 20 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Alexander who is my direct ancestor can not find his death either, his youngest son was born 1887 and he is not on the 1891 census.
You don't say where they were living that would be helpful. I can see a few possible deaths for Alexander.
These 2 to start with.
1889  Rathven 164/ 128
1893 Banff 147/A 99