Author Topic: OPRs  (Read 1295 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: OPRs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 December 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Alexander who is my direct ancestor can not find his death either, his youngest son was born 1887 and he is not on the 1891 census.
Could he have been at sea on the day of the 1891 census? Have you looked for him in the 1901 and/or 1911?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 December 20 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Can we take it that you are the "A Cowie" who has been recording family data in "Family Search"?

Malky.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 December 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I think I have Alexander Cowie's death:

Ref: 168/1X 129 (St Nicholas)
28 Dec 1890, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary - usual residence 15 Kintore Place, Aberdeen
Alexander Cowie, seaman (merchant service), 45
Married to Jane Murker (sic)
Father: William Cowie (deceased); Mother: Margaret Cowie MS Martin (deceased)
His son James registered the death.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 December 20 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Just to add-
Marriage Alexander Cowie/Jane Murker , 1867 Peterhead Aberdeen.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 December 20 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Ruth I thought I had looked in Aberdeen. I knew Jane was in Aberdeen in 1901. I perhaps never put a wide enough age range as I make him 48 in 1900.

Yes Malky I am that ACowie. I try and correct Familysearch as I establish stuff but it is a bit of a mess with some of the information. I know I made basic mistakes along the way but people just make presumptions without foundation, altering information you have put in.

Thank you for all your help.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 December 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know about the rounding down in the 1841 census so I widened the date range for the OPRS but still no luck.

Apart from the missing death for Alexander (which RuthHelen has found) I pretty much had all information after the 1835 marriage. I was trying to get the parents of William and Margaret from the OPRs.

Thanks

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 December 20 12:04 GMT (UK) »
There is always the possibility that a baptism might be recorded in the Episcopal records. I have ancestors from the area in the late 18th/early 19th centuries who appear in both the Church of Scotland and the Episcopal Church records at various times.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 December 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I did look in the other denominations OPRs but nothing there either.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 December 20 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to get the parents of William and Margaret from the OPRs.
That isn't generally a good idea when names are common.

The baptism of the person you are looking for may not be in the surviving readily available records, and you may find someone similar and make a wrong assumption. I did exactly that in my early days. I knew I was looking for a Margaret Davidson born about 1818/1819 in Oyne, and lo and behold, there she was so I spent a lot of time climbing her tree. However when I got her death certificate her parents were completely different people, so all that tree I had compiled was wrong. My Margaret Davidson's baptism is not in any surviving records, though those of two of her five known siblings are.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.