Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 12th December  (Read 476 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 12th December
« on: Sunday 13 December 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I've been feeling rather fed up today. It was late when I woke up as a result of it being silly o'clock when I got to sleep last night. It was raining and heavy cloud, it was hardly light all day. I can put up with rain but the lack of light really gets me down.

Instead of going for a walk I did some cleaning then prepared and painted three small picture frames. I used my acrylic paints to mix a grey, when it dried I realised it was bluer than I wanted so will adjust it tomorrow and put another coat on.

Was hoping it would have dried up enough after lunch for me to go out but it hadn't. Did some more sorting out of paperwork, can't believe there's so much when many documents are sent electronically. It was getting on for 3pm when the rain had stopped, got ready and went out, kept off the field as far as possible, I'm sinking further in every day. I wish we could have a dry spell for it to dry up.

Yesterday I cooked a piece of breadcrumbed cod, it was in a pack of four. As soon as I'd tasted it I could smell and taste something strange, like a chemical. I threw it away and today after taking photos of the pack I got rid of the rest. Sent a message to Tesco on their contact form, it asked in the case of delivery orders for the order number, full name and delivery address. Also if possible, photos of the item including bar code. I provided all of these. I got a reply minutes later, it seemed to me to be an automated one with all the apologies and promises to look into it. Also a refund for some fish that wasn't in that order, wasn't frozen and wasn't breaded. It was also more expensive than the item in question. I was really annoyed and felt tempted to just leave it but I didn't want them investigating the wrong supplier. So I wrote again, told them all this and asked that they check it out properly and not send me an automated reply. More apologies, this time from a real person who also said a refund was being processed, unfortunately they are unable to investigate without the packaging and the product itself. Really?? Why on earth do I bother? I'm so sick of these customer disservice assistants.

Couldn't be bothered cooking after that, was pleased that I'd put some portions of chicken in pasta sauce in the freezer, only had to heat it and cook the pasta. Had a glass of Chenin blanc too. Was hoping for some daylight tomorrow but there's yet more rain forecast.   :'(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 12th December
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 20 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear Roobarb I’m sorry you’ve firstly had such a bad night and not a good day either...
Interesting you’re comment about fish when Viktoria did the very same thing in her Friday post.... it would be so nice to buy fresh fish wouldn’t it... there is always a fresh fish van at the monthly farmers markets in Higham which I used to buy from..
It’s very frustrating having to deal with customer services sometimes... early on in the year I had a poor experience with Waitrose one on the phone... just not the same as going into the store to talk face to face...
I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you all round..

Well it was raining yet again when I got up... thought it was supposed to be brighter today... oh well... put lights on in the kitchen it was so dull...
After breakfast I got my trusty vacuum out and went over the whole house... I had to turn lights on in each room as I went....
OH had been looking at wine deals in between watching snooker and golf... don't know how he can go from one to the other! Anyway he said Asda had got some nice wines on offer and they're on rollback so decided I’d see if I could get a delivery at best or c n c  at worst for tomorrow as their deals never seem to say how long they’re lasting... added a few other items put in my post code paid for it got confirmation only to discover I can’t pick it up from small town nearest to us got to drive to bigger town 5 miles away... phoned customer services to see if it could be changed but apparently not... as it’s first time I’m doing this from there no idea what their procedures are and store not taking any calls! Great.... have to see if they give any details when I get an email tomorrow morning...
After lunch I went to my work room to make the other Christmas card for J ... even though I’d already done one it still took me all afternoon to do it! I’m pleased with the end results, hope they like them too... sadly I’m unlikely to see their faces when they open them so one more pleasure denied through this §\¥%#@ awful situation were all in....😤😤😢😢..
OH cooked dinner, usual Saturday night, steak, chips, mushrooms, toms and peas...
Watched a film with Colin Firth as lead roll about Donald Crowhurst who as an amateur sailor entered the first round the globe non stop race in 1968... won by Robin Knox Johnson ... Crowhurst secretly abandoned the race and proceeded to give false positions in an attempt to complete the circumnavigation without actually doing so... he never returned and no one was sure if he took his own life because if the stress he was under...his boat was found... Robin KJ gave the winnings to Crowhurst’s family ...a sad film ...I did feel for his wife and family left behind... watched an episode of The Chateau afterwards to cheer ourselves up a bit....
Think it’s going to be another wet day tomorrow...OH supposed to be playing golf but not if it’s chucking it down!

Keep your chins up everyone... I get a sense of everyone sinking under in this situation were in with Christmas looming and the cold, dark and wet weather we’re currently having... it won’t last for ever let’s just get over this final hill to a brighter beginning for us all....

Caroline   :)
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Caroline.... yes, by New Year the days will be drawing out, and that will be a big help to us all.
Why not ask your daughter to be on zoom when the boys open their cards? I know that is 2nd best, but I really wish my lot had been videoed opening their tree decorations.
Matching grey picture frames sounds vastly chic to me Roobarb. Well worth taking the time and trouble to get it just right as they will give you a sense of satisfaction.
I made an early bread raid yesterday. There were so few people around I felt almost carefree.
What a crazy, crazy world!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is going to work but attached photo of twins having skin contact with Mum.   Love their little hands.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Annette - you must be so proud of your niece and the two little ones... very nice iof you to share with us all too.

MH - I’m hoping we’ll do some sort of communication via the internet on Christmas Day..... she did for eldest grandsons birthday in July where he opened pressies and cards in front of us... Shame you didn’t see your lovely hand made goodies being opened 🥲.
Never thought I’d be wishing life away.... not looking forward to update on 16th either... see Germany have imposed further restrictions effectively cancelling Christmas and New Year.... think there’d be uproar if that we’re to happen here although most people won’t necessarily be together!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Annette, that is a very heart warming photo. Thank you so much for sharing.

Caroline, I think you are correct that England would behave increasingly badly according to government restrictions, BUT we might as well expect to cancel January and February, because we can't have it all, and when our English pub culture has finished celebrating, I have no doubt there will be a heavy price to pay.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.