Author Topic: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone can help me with Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 Canonbie illegitimate son of John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer

He has cropped up when I have been researching my 3x Gt Grandfather John Armstrong b1791 Canonbie who I believe to be his father.
Would love to hear from anyone researching this family.

Otherwise any information gratefully received.

Thank you

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at this site ?
https://www.scottishindexes.com/advanced.aspx

Kirk Session Paternity Cases
John Armstrong alias Graham / Mary Wilson , twins , 1817 Canonbie Dumfriesshire.
John Armstrong alias Graham / Margaret Telfer , 1815 Canonbie Dumfriesshire.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 20 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear ev,
Yes I have those thank you. It is a good site as I have  John's parents  on there too.

I looked up the child's baptism for John Armstrong/Graham and Margaret Telfer and it is Walter b1816 Canonbie. So am trying to research more about him.

I think she has about 6 illegitimate children between 1796 and 1815 unless there is more than one Margaret Telfer.

I could not find the twins born or baptised to John Armstrong/Graham and Mary Wilson to do any more research on them.
But again quite a few illegitimate births for a Mary Wilson.

I think John Armstrong/Graham went on to marry Isabella Little. Irregular marriage in Langholm in 1829. They then went on to get their 3 eldest children baptised together later on in 1829.  The vicar must have caught up with them not being baptised ;D

In the baptism of their children he was listed as in Priorhill.  They were at Chapelhills in the 1841 Census. He had died by 1851 but his widow Isabella & her 2 youngest children were in New Woodhead in the 1851 census. She died there in 1858.

By looking at the 1851 Census I see there is a Margaret Telford aged 74 at the top of the sheet. I haven't got the preceding sheet to see who else is on there.

One of the reasons for researching these children is that I, or my near relatives, may share a small amount of DNA with them.

Judy
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Judy, there is a possible marriage for a Margaret Telfer that might fit:

Margaret Telfer and James Clapperton
14 Jun 1816 Canonbie
www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTT3-K6G

Just in case, if it is the same Margaret, Walter may also have gone by the surname of Clapperton.

1851 census entry for Margaret Telfer/Clapperton here www.scottishindexes.com/51transcript.aspx?houseid=81413008

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »

By looking at the 1851 Census I see there is a Margaret Telford aged 74 at the top of the sheet. I haven't got the preceding sheet to see who else is on there.

This Margaret's census entry that you mention is here www.scottishindexes.com/51transcript.aspx?houseid=81406024

Like Freecen entries, you are able to also look at next/previous housholds.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
There is one Walter that you might want to consider following up...under the name of Armstrong.

No clear sign of him until 1861, this Walter looks to have married (pre 1855?) an Isabella Wishart. First child I can see is Andrew in 1855 and then gap until 1861 and more children in Scotland. I think they were in England then going by the birth places of two daughters.

1861 below:

Walter Armstrong 44 Labourer Woods b.Canonbie
Isabella Armstrong 34 b. Canonbie
Agnes Armstrong 4 b. Cumberland
Margaret Armstrong 2 b. Cumberland

Address: Nittyholm, Canonbie

Family are in Canonbie right up to 1891. Walter pretty consistent with his birth year and place. Can't see his death though on SP  :-\ There is a burial for an 80 yr old Walter Armstrong in 1897 (death date 28 August) in Canonbie...but can't see a death entry so far (maybe England?). Isabella and children are still in Canonbie in 1901.

These links might refer to this Walter:

www.scottishindexes.com/prisontranscript.aspx?prisonid=490201302
www.scottishindexes.com/prisontranscript.aspx?prisonid=490202103

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Round these parts...there are so many Armstrongs aren't there  ::)

Health warning on the above. There is an Andrew Armstrong and Jane Murray having children in Canonbie at that time. Thinking here of the early born Andrew son.

Monica

ADDED: So 11 years later, I came to same conclusion...Walter's death reg is nowhere to be found ;D www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=381633.0

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Deleted...

I didn't notice Monica had posted the link to a previous thread while I was reading through it  ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 December 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies. Lots of info and the other Rootschat post to research  :). It will take a little time so may be a while posting back on the facts of this.
Yes I have other Armstrong's in my Family Tree too who are elusive, they seem to have an affinity to Little's.

Don't know if this helps but the Walter I am after is indexed on SP as
GRAHAM WALTER
Father JOHN GRAHAM OR ARMSTRONG Mother MARGARET TELFER FR415 (FR415) M 30/06/1816 814/20 264 Canonbie

Just a bit of info on my family. Monica, some years ago you helped me with Charters Jackson & her illegitimate daughter b 1855 Agnes Jackson/Armstrong. Agnes's father was a Robert Armstrong b1826 Priorhill Canonbie.  I am now trying to prove that Walter could be the half brother of Robert. Their father being John Armstrong c1791
Through DNA I now know that  Robert A* b1826  is definitely the  father of Agnes. May be repeating myself now ;D  So would like some ancestors of John Graham/Armstrong to show up.

My DNA & some of my Armstrong relatives is on a well known Ancestry site and would like to know if there are any of Walters decedents DNA on any DNA site so we can compare.

Thank you again for all the help.
Will get back shortly.

Judy