Author Topic: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the good information.
Didn't realise that about 'Pauper' in the Census returns. Must look back and see as I am sure some of mine were listed as Pauper. Mainly when they got old.

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Graham or Armstrong b1816 so John Graham or Armstrong & Margaret Telfer
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 December 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Think I may also have to try and see if I can find the other children born illegitimately to John Armstrong alias Graham Byreburnfoot Canonbie Dec 1817 and Mary Wilson had Twins. Any ideas?
I would try the deaths on Scotland's People for an Armstrong with mother Wilson, but as the death index only includes mothers' maiden surnames until about 1880 (and then only if that information is on the death certificate, obviously) that won't find them if they lived until they were much over 60.

When children were born illegitimately could they not be baptised in the church does any one know? As I can't find any baptisms for these.
They could be, but again not all baptisms were in the church building. The minister would often go and perform the ceremony in the parents' home. (I myself was baptised in my parents' house in (obviously) the 20th century.) The only way of being sure that a child was baptised in the church building is if the witnesses were 'the congregation'.

It's very common for baptisms of illegitimate children to be missing from the parish registers. I've always found that puzzling, because I would have thought that the kirk would be keen to have them on record as being part of their flock.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 December 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.

Have spent quite a while looking at the deaths on SP. Can't find the one I want but have found others that are mine :) :)

Much appreciate your replies and information. Like to think of myself as a 'seasoned' researcher but learning quite a bit more through replies on these posts.

Judy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 December 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if perhaps Walter's death had been missed when the register was indexed, so I looked in the index of all deaths in Canonbie in 1897, but there are no numbers missing so it's not that.

Also wondered if he might have died just inside a neighbouring parish, but the MI says he died at Hollows Hill Gate, which is smack in the middle of the parish of Canonbie, so that's not likely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 December 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking.

I just can't find anything more about him.

Just a thought - I wonder if he emigrated? If his parents are who I think then his 2 half Armstrong brothers Robert & Hugh emigrated. They ended up in the US by 1861 and 1867 respectively. St Clair, Michigan. US. I think a lot of Scottish Ag Labs emigrated around that time as there were good prospects out there.
 Unfortunately I haven't got a World Wide subscription to look but have an American friend who may be able to help. Although that assumes America and there is Australia too!

Judy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 December 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
The MI does say that Walter died at Hollowshill Gate, and so did his widow some years later.

Also, there is that burial record that Matt found. There is no way they would have brought a dead body back from America, let alone Australia, in 1897, and even if they did, it would have taken longer than 2 days.

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 December 20 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I agree with that but I was thinking that looking at some of the trees on a well known Family History site that maybe the Walter Armstrong that died at Hollowshill Gate was maybe a different Walter Armstrong from the one born to John Armstrong alias Graham and Margaret Telfer.

Some trees have the parents of  one Walter Armstrong b1816 as Walter Armstrong and Jane which is not the one I am after so I was casting my net further afield.

Judy

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 December 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
This research would have been a heck of a lot easier if Walter's 1897's death reg was to be found!

He is at home with wife Isabella and some of the children in 1891. By 1901, Isabella was a widow. When one of his daughters, Mary Ina, died in 1894 in Hollowshillgate, father Walter shows as alive.

The 1895 valuation rolls show him at Nittyholm, Canonbie.

From this, we move to the Canonbie burial register for his entry in August 1897 and the MI at the Canonbie cemetery.

We just have a big whole re his actual death registration  :-\

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 December 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica.
It’s so frustrating. I’ve tried entering all sorts of combinations and spellings but still nothing shows 
I’ve tried seeing if his obituary is in the newspapers on FindMyPast but nothing.

Will have to try and get some inspiration
Think we’ve all done lots trying to find him.

Thank you
Judy