Author Topic: Diary Sunday 13th December  (Read 414 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary Sunday 13th December
« on: Monday 14 December 20 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Starting earlier tonight....

Well there’s only another 8 days before it starts to get lighter which is a good job because we had to have the lights on in what ever room we were in all day today...rain, rain and more rain... I wish it would go away... are we paying for all that glorious sunshine and blue skies we had because it certainly feels like it....
Needless to say OH decided early on that it wasn’t a golfing day!
Read the papers and did the crossword... it’s Sunday a day of rest.... bit like every other day really!
Had a shower then prepared to go and pick up c n c from Asda... I’d downloaded their app as requested and when we got there clicked on ‘I’m here’ on the email sent.... nothing, it couldn’t register me! Great... found the short click & collect queue... when I mentioned it to the chap taking my name he said ‘ nah it don’t work!’... anyway items brought out in the car and back home!
Had lunch... OH busy watching snooker... went to do a card for friends 70th birthday another one that’s not going to have any celebrations.. 🥲 made a Christmas card for my daughter and SiL that’s it all finished now tomorrow clear all Christmas stuff away...
I’d sent e-cards to various people abroad and had a nice reply from my cousin in Oz... not seen his family who live in Melbourne. He and wife ok though... live just south of my Son... said his business was up 30% this year which is good news as he works for himself too.... lovely to hear from him... we met some years ago when he saw a picture I’d put on my family tree of our 2x gt grandparents same one he’d got! From then on we collaborated and he wrote up our family history on the Swiss side... employed a researcher in Switzerland who turned out to be related to us! We’ve met up several times over the years the last being when we’re in Oz last year along with another cousin whose family had owned land in about half of Brisbane in the 1800’s...
I digress... had a game of scrabble got beaten again... down by four games now 😤😤  I blame the fact I was trying to prep dinner!
Roast lamb with normal trimmings, lovely joint...
Watched tv... nasty little film Cape Fear with Nick Nolte and Robert de Nero then a Chateau episode...
Enough of today it’s still raining!

Hope everyone else has had a more worth while day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Sunday 13th December
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
This gloomy weather is so depressing isn't it? Glad you escaped relatively unscathed from the C&C. How fascinating to have Swiss ancestors and how strange that the researcher turned out to be a rellie!

My day went like this:

Out like a light last night and woke up late today. Another cloudy day, not raining but heavy rain forecast in the afternoon. Spent a while reading then went out while it was dry. It was very cold, a real nip in the air.

After lunch I got out the paint I'd mixed yesterday for the picture frames, added some burnt sienna to it so it didn't have such a blue tone to it. It worked well, put a couple of coats on the frames. Went looking for the clear varnish I had, both the gloss and the satin had dried up, had to send for some that cost twice as much, grrr. My friend L phoned briefly to ask about the technique for varnishing a painting, a coincidence that we were both thinking of the same thing. By now it was raining and gusty winds, much colder, what my mother would have called nithering.

Sorted out yet more papers, I'll get to the end of it one of these days. Did the ironing, ordered the varnish and a couple of other things. Did some salmon for tea.

Watched Mortimer and Whitehouse go fishing, it was really entertaining and good to see that it showed some of the beautiful parts of our area. I thought the end was very touching, it brought a tear to my eye.
Actually did some family history research tonight, was looking at the Exeter council burial records for Topsham to check the information I had for my 3 x gt grandmother when I noticed another name that was in my tree. She had been buried on the same day as her two children, I thought there must be a story behind it. When I checked the newspaper reports there was indeed, and a tragic story at that. So sad, not the kind of thing to be finding out before bedtime.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 20 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was a pure coincidence that when she started our research she ended up finding more about hers too... uncanny..

Glad you got your frames painted up, they sound very nice... pain about your varnish though...
I’ve had problems with glitter glues I use, they go all gloopy and won’t squeeze out if the nozzle so end up taking the top of and use a small brush... gets very messy!

Your weather sounds as if it’s a lot chillier than ours, although did put the heating on earlier today...
Good to find out more info about your ancestors, sad events often recorded in newspapers which is a bit like a double edged sword really... had one, same side of my Swiss lot... living in, what we’d call today, multi occupancy house that caught fire and she had one son who lived on the top floor didn’t survive quite a gruesome account in the papers ... just before Christmas too...

Let’s hope tomorrow is a brighter day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Church this morning; not our usual one in Bath, it's getting too much of a chore when there is something right on the doorstep. I think it will soon be time to break our links there and join in a local one.
Our friend M came for lunch (it was her husband who died recently) and stayed for most of the afternoon. Good to be able to give her some space away from the hustle of preparing for G's funeral this coming Friday.

What to watch on the box this evening?Well the tried and tested (many times) Poirot was a step too far so we decided to root around in the CD rack. We had Downton Abbey on Saturday and I'm not a great fan. So we decided on The Beiderbecke Trilogy  which Nick bought for me about three Christmases ago, but we have never got beyond the first episode!

As we progressed through all six episodes I realised that there was something missing; quite a number of scenes had been omitted. There was a distinct lack of continuity. For example, (apologies to those who did not follow the original), the scene where the Poice raided the Church basement and found a store of "white goods"- a little enterprise run by Big Al and Little Norm, and a number of other scenes. And at the end of the 6th episode when Trev's partner Jill was eating out with his former fiance and they tossed a coin for his favours, the climax of the story was completely missing.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do at this point in time but the cover of the box clearly states "All three series, complete and uncut".
What a disappointment
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Videos very disappointing Jeff. But at least it sounds like you had a fairly relaxing day.
Yes, Ladies, wet, wet, wet and way too dark!! We didn't get out at all yesterday.
Also no reply from trying to make contact with kids in Oz, but quite swiftly some photos appeared on fb of them holidaying in a lovely place with their REAL Nanny and a pool.
I finished the second baby blanket and have wrapped them ready to be carted off. Time drawing nearer now, so fingers crossed.
More bad news in my small circle, it seems never ending lately. 

But good to know Annette's babies continue thriving, and hoping Viktoria, Carol and All can hold it together a while longer.

p.s. Twitter joke: "I couldn't afford a DNA test, so I let it be known I had won the lottery. I soon found out who all my relatives are."  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear Jeff disappointing for you when it’s something you’ve looked forward to seeing...
Good to hear that life is getting on for you and I’m sure you and your wife are a great support to your friend.

MH - sorry to hear you’ve not been able to contact your family... it’s always upsetting... mine are currently being battered by a weeks worth of rain and more to come not boding well for the pool house he’s building before Christmas 😬, apparently the Gold Coast has had 600mm of it in 2days.... he’s had 60mm... I think it’s a myth that Australia is wall to wall sunshine... certainly not in Brisbane... we had lots of rain when we were there last year for a month...
sorry to hear you’ve more bad news in your circle...
well done with the blankets too, I’m sure they’ll be much appreciated.
Hope today is a better one all round.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 20 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Jeff, what a shame about the missing scenes. I did Google it to see if it's available on any TV channels or streaming service but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be.

MH, sorry to hear you've had bad news. Hope you've been able to get out today, I think the weather has been better everywhere. Love the Twitter joke.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales