Author Topic: Help With Coat of Arms ID  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Josh1459

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help With Coat of Arms ID
« on: Monday 14 December 20 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all...new here. I am trying to sort out this cast iron coat of arms I purchased. The antique dealer told me likely 1850-1920 Canadian (British).

The one issue I notice about it that confuses me is that the lion’s face is facing the right and not straight ahead. I don’t know if this means anything at all, but every example that matches this coat of arms in every other aspect has it facing forwards.

Looking for anyone who can give me more info on this piece!

Thanks and happy to be here!

Josh

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Coat of Arms ID
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I think that is artistic licence. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg 

In all other respects it is the same. I do not see anything particularly Canadian about it. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Josh1459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I think it is prior to 1921 the British coat of arms was used in Canada. Only thing Canadian about it is that it was taken from a building here!

I was more unsure about if maybe the side profile of the lion may have been used in “Canadian versions”....so the artistic licence thing would make sense to me. I just couldn’t find any information on use of the side profile of the lion from pre-1921!

Josh

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
The various coats-of-arms used for Canada can be seen here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_of_Canada#Armorial_evolution
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder why it's been coated with a thick gold-hued paint? That might be recent and obliterating detail. If it's cast iron under there wouldn't it have been either painted in its "proper" colours, or black?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Josh1459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder why it's been coated with a thick gold-hued paint? That might be recent and obliterating detail. If it's cast iron under there wouldn't it have been either painted in its "proper" colours, or black?

I am unsure. The antique dealer I bought it from believed the paint was original on it. I honestly would need to get someone else to look at it to confirm this though.

I think it is safe to say it was definitely affixed to the outside of a building as the wear on it is very consistent with years of weathering.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Have been trying to read the garter and the motto ::)

Think the garter says "Honi soit qui mal y pens" (from the Order of the Garter) and the motto "Dieu et mon droit" (Motto of the British Monorch).

The ribbon of the Order of Canada should say "Desiderantes meliorem patriam" and the motto should say "A Mari usque ad Mare".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Josh1459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Have been trying to read the garter and the motto ::)

Think the garter says "Honi soit qui mal y pens" (from the Order of the Garter) and the motto "Dieu et mon droit" (Motto of the British Monorch).

The ribbon of the Order of Canada should say "Desiderantes meliorem patriam" and the motto should say "A Mari usque ad Mare".

Right, if it is pre-1921 then Canada was under the British coat of arms so that makes sense to me. Unfortunately the guy’s range was 1850-1920 for this reason.

I was unable to come up with anything in my own research on the lions face so I am thinking it doesn’t mean anything specific. Thought I would check here!

Based on what you saw, do you think that age range is accurate from the dealer?

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I certainly doubt that the gold paint has been on it for a long time.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)