Author Topic: Glass Plate photo of unknown relative  (Read 856 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Glass Plate photo of unknown relative
« on: Monday 14 December 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo on a glass plate, depending on what age you may think it is will give me a fairly good idea of who it might be, as I have a group of photos that were kept in a box so I know which family they belong to. The 2nd pic is the back.
also
what is the best way to look after it? Could I get a 'photo copy' from it?
Thank you

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Plate photo of unknown relative
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
What you have is an 1850's-early 60's ambrotype.
You need to protect the back as the black shellac brings out the image.
Lose that & you lose the image.
These were mounted in gilt cases similar to the one below so you could
buy a replacement.
She looks in her 40's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 20 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I would say that it is mid 1850s to early 1860s. How lucky you re to have one in such good condition.

I think that there are a few threads on the care of them. I'll do some searching. 

Re photocopying - how large is the plate. It might be better to make a really good scan and file it away. You could either have it printed professionally or print it out yourself.

I'm sure many of us would be keen to do a restore of it as well, if you'd like  :)

Add -I'm glad I agree with Jim  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Re printing, etc.

Here's a thread that Jim and China contributed to about copying  ambrotypes

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=542843.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about copying glass plates, but, you could always print off a copy of this ...
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Of course, I've reduced the file size for posting, but I can email you the full size version, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo on a glass plate, depending on what age you may think it is will give me a fairly good idea of who it might be, as I have a group of photos that were kept in a box so I know which family they belong to. The 2nd pic is the back.
also
what is the best way to look after it? Could I get a 'photo copy' from it?
Thank you

It's a lovely image and needs to be preserved and Gadget has provided a good link for you.
If you would like a photo to print, then I suggest that you alter the title of your post to include a Repair and we can give it a clean for you, just use the modify button to make the amendment.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Glass Plate photo of possible Procter relative
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Sincere apologies for delay in replying, been in hospital.
Will hopefully alter heading and get on with the suggestions many thanks
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Libby

I hope you are OK after your hospital stay. I wasn't clear from your last post whether you wanted us to attempt a restore as you said that you'd change the heading - assume to add restore.

I hope you don't mind that I worked on this a few days ago and have just found the psd version which I've now converted to jpg.

Gadget