Author Topic: Do we care about coronavirus anymore?  (Read 5986 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do we care about coronavirus anymore?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 December 20 18:38 GMT (UK) »

Just read that we’re going into Tier 3 too, here in SW Hertfordshire:-(

I think it would make it much easier for people to follow if we had another complete Lockdown, - as is happening in Germany.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 December 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I think that was the attitude prior to any vaccine TY.

Personally I don't see why the NHS don't treat all the covid patients in the Nightingale hospitals and leave the normal hospitals to get on with their ordinary work rather than create such backlogs.  I know there will be some cross contamination but currently, it seems to me, that hospitals are designed to transfer infection between patients/outpatients.  I assume that it is possibly due to staff shortages.

Pheno

Because there isn't enough staff to staff both the existing hospitals and the Nightingales.  Staff are already working extra hours to keep things going.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 December 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
  I think I agree with Romilly - another lockdown would be so much simpler. It is all too complicated for people to bother with various tiers.

I don't think that the spike in Kent has much to do with London commuting. It started in the more disadvantaged areas of Thanet and Swale, while the real commuter belt to the South and South-West of London has a lower incidence (at the moment). They are probably all furloughed or working from home. There seems to be a suggestion now that there is a link with the new version of the virus.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 December 20 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes but do the majority of the population care whether the elderly look after themselves and ensure their life is lived.

What about if all the elderly just 'took the hit' by not taking care and a percentage of them dying off - maybe a bit prematurely.  If there were then no elderly persons either on whom the virus preys or for the sake of whom the majority of the restrictions are imposed would it be better for those that were left - the under 60's say - and would the virus just not have anybody on which to prey.

Should we be considering 'for the greater good'?

Pheno

As it appears to be the younger elements of society spreading the virus, why not lock up all the under 40s, and let the rest of us live a normal life?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 December 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »

As it appears to be the younger elements of society spreading the virus, why not lock up all the under 40s, and let the rest of us live a normal life?

What an excellent suggestion.... can we party in pubs and fall out of them onto the pavements and hug one another before going back to your place or mine to carry on with the party....

I think I’d rather stick to my small village community where everyone has been sensible because we’re all responsible adults!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I think that some of the problem is that the last lockdown wasn't hard enough and a lot of people carried on with life as normal - went to work, children went to school, shops were open etc. When all these things are allowed a lot of people say. "It can't be as bad as they are making out."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 December 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes but do the majority of the population care whether the elderly look after themselves and ensure their life is lived.

What about if all the elderly just 'took the hit' by not taking care and a percentage of them dying off - maybe a bit prematurely.  If there were then no elderly persons either on whom the virus preys or for the sake of whom the majority of the restrictions are imposed would it be better for those that were left - the under 60's say - and would the virus just not have anybody on which to prey.

Should we be considering 'for the greater good'?

Pheno

;D ;D ;D  Hadn't thought of it that way around - makes sense to me. 

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 December 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Well it will be as bad as they are making out if more people die, yesterday I heard friends of mine who had a married couple die in their family within 2 days of each other, children had both parents die within 2 days, how sad is that?

The sad thing is this has all been beyond our control,  who would have thought 10 months or so ago this would happen

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 December 20 22:28 GMT (UK) »

Do you think most people have stopped caring about covid now?

Pheno
Younger people, yes. 

There is an emotional condition, which translates across all aspects of life. It is called compassion fatigue. In other walks of life it does not have a name but it is the same thing.   
Before WW1 it was recognized that fighting men lose concentration after a certain number of hours. Even still today they exercise the troops to see how long they can go before the start making mistakes.

People will continue to care if they have a vested interest in the situation, but if no one that they know is getting it or dying, then they will lose interest. 

I was told many years ago - "Never appeal to a man's better instincts, he might not have any. Always appeal to his self interest." If they can't see a benefit to their immediate family, they lose interest - it just becomes a chore. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia