Author Topic: Do we care about coronavirus anymore?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do we care about coronavirus anymore?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 December 20 22:54 GMT (UK) »

Do you think most people have stopped caring about covid now?

Pheno
Younger people, yes. 

There is an emotional condition, which translates across all aspects of life. It is called compassion fatigue. In other walks of life it does not have a name but it is the same thing.   
Before WW1 it was recognized that fighting men lose concentration after a certain number of hours. Even still today they exercise the troops to see how long they can go before the start making mistakes.

People will continue to care if they have a vested interest in the situation, but if no one that they know is getting it or dying, then they will lose interest. 

I was told many years ago - "Never appeal to a man's better instincts, he might not have any. Always appeal to his self interest." If they can't see a benefit to their immediate family, they lose interest - it just becomes a chore. 

Regards 

Chas

For me what makes it feel like a chore is the futility of it all.  The knowledge that all the effort I put in is wiped out and some by people not doing even the simplest of things. Yesterday I was walking along a wide pavement.  Wide enough for 2 people to pass while distanced.  However the person coming towards me stubbornly stuck to the very middle of the pavement meaning i had to go out onto the road.  I completely don't mind doing that on narrow pavements but this annoyed me because there was so much room if we each took a side of the pavement.  I've been shouted at because I do wear a mask.  I've witnessed shop staff being spat on when they try and encouraging distancing within their shop, I see people having big parties. Three weeks ago a parent at my daughter's school hosted a party, they had covid (diagnosed), the school has been forced to close, one staff member is in ITU.  I wear a mask, I reorganised my life to minimise the need to go out, I wear a mask, I distance as much as possible, I have only seen my mum through the window since March,I've had to watch people die and all that effort was for nothing it's never going to be over
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Interesting reading - experiences of a contact tracer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55280321

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Another example of a younger person:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-jailed-after-scotland-to-isle-of-man-jet-ski-crossing/

The Isle of Man has closed borders for a reason!
This young man not only broke that, but he had never ridden a jet-ski before ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Another example of a younger person:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-jailed-after-scotland-to-isle-of-man-jet-ski-crossing/

The Isle of Man has closed borders for a reason!
This young man not only broke that, but he had never ridden a jet-ski before ::)

Did he have a death wish? I know that the IoM isn't that far away, but on a jet ski!
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I think that was the attitude prior to any vaccine TY.

Personally I don't see why the NHS don't treat all the covid patients in the Nightingale hospitals and leave the normal hospitals to get on with their ordinary work rather than create such backlogs.  I know there will be some cross contamination but currently, it seems to me, that hospitals are designed to transfer infection between patients/outpatients.  I assume that it is possibly due to staff shortages.

Pheno

Because there isn't enough staff to staff both the existing hospitals and the Nightingales.  Staff are already working extra hours to keep things going.

Rather worrying to see how much cross infection there is in some of our hospitals.

The shrunk url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q4g/

has been created for

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/09/exclusive-10000-patients-caught-covid-19-treated-hospital/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1314433&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Reg&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Reg20201210&utm_campaign=DM1314433

My brother lives in the South West were infection rates are relatively low, yet his local hospital comes out as over 30% of reported cases since August acquired in that hospital.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I think that was the attitude prior to any vaccine TY.

Personally I don't see why the NHS don't treat all the covid patients in the Nightingale hospitals and leave the normal hospitals to get on with their ordinary work rather than create such backlogs.  I know there will be some cross contamination but currently, it seems to me, that hospitals are designed to transfer infection between patients/outpatients.  I assume that it is possibly due to staff shortages.

Pheno

Because there isn't enough staff to staff both the existing hospitals and the Nightingales.  Staff are already working extra hours to keep things going.

Rather worrying to see how much cross infection there is in some of our hospitals.

The shrunk url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q4g/

has been created for

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/09/exclusive-10000-patients-caught-covid-19-treated-hospital/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1314433&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Reg&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Reg20201210&utm_campaign=DM1314433

My brother lives in the South West were infection rates are relatively low, yet his local hospital comes out as over 30% of reported cases since August acquired in that hospital.

Staff are often forced to work in minimal PPE.  Often hospital design hinders isolation.  We had a hospital near us that individual pavilions that could be isolated.  The demolished it relatively recently because pavilions like that are not needed now apparently.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I had to go to my bank yesterday to transfer some money. I don’t do internet banking so a branch visit was necessary.

The bank is located in a local shopping centre. It was very busy, a wide range of ages were there.

I don’t feel comfortable in crowded places any more. I mask up, do what I have to do and then leave - I don’t linger.

But from the number of people in the shopping centre, you would not think that there has ever been, and still is, a pandemic going on.  >:(

I have to pay a second visit to the centre today, this time for a prescription. Again, I will turn up, get it, and go.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes really I think the only way to reduce footfall is for all non-essential shops to close for a period of time, then there is not much for anybody to go out for other than exercise.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 10:02 GMT (UK) »
In the first lockdown, a few local pubs were selling takeaway beer - turn up with own container, they filled it, off you went to drink at home.

Except one establishment decided to let people drink in the street outside, no social distancing, and residents got very upset to find people urinating against walls as pub toilet was out of use.

>:( >:( >:(
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?