Author Topic: Diary - Monday 14th December  (Read 584 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 14th December
« on: Tuesday 15 December 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Well here we are again another week starts.... what’s changed... well quite a bit really... more places now in tier three... covid seems to have a new strain... is everyone wondering more about what’s going to happen over the five days of mayhem..oh sorry Christmas....

Today was sunny when I got up, put some washing in the machine...
After breakfast I did some cooking and cleared up the kitchen...
Messaged Son as seen in news Eastern coast of Oz getting a bettering... he said it’s rained for a week... more to come... they’d had 60mm in two days and tge Gold Coast has had 600mm! 😱😱it’s put paid to his building of their pool house at the moment!
Hung out the washing... I hadn’t been inside more than five minutes when the heavens opened and boy did it pour... the rain was bouncing off the garden table...well I might just as well have hung the washing out without putting it in the machine at all... it was drenched... brought it back in once it stopped and respun it... no point going out again as there was more rain... once again lights on inside...
OH decided to get the tree up and decorated... I helped him with the lights then left him to it.... I did all the rest of the bits whilst listening to him muttering about going over the top do we need all the stuff out... well yes we do... it’s only us but we need some cheering up... for the first time in a while we had the CD player on and listened to some music while we decorated... first up was Caroline Dale, cello player wonder music... brought us both to tears... what a pair of daft idiots!
We’d been to Malmsbury Abbey in 2016 to see her perform live it was an exceptional night... lots of fuss getting in, checked and re checked, all had to be in by certain time no stragglers.... then we realised why... HRH Prince Charles was attending... he only lives up the road of course... never realised how short he was... brought back happy memories... next up was Katie Mellua then finally James Blunt... we did enjoy listening... don’t know why we don’t do it more often.. well all decorating done.. message from daughter to say their in tier 3... she’s thoroughly fed up .... we are too and not being able to see them isn’t helping... miss the boys... next thing we get two videos of them saying hello to us... we sent one back!
Dinner was rest of the lamb joint sliced in gravy with mushrooms and onions and sliced pots on top in the oven... mixture of vegs... and a glass of wine as we’d felt sad today...
OH went to do more of new jigsaw and I read... book all about Dickens, interesting....
Caught up with University Challenge ... right team won tonight, and we answered quite a lot of the questions!
Enough of today... retired to read after writing this post...

Hope others day has been better...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 14th December
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 00:39 GMT (UK) »
So frustrating when it rains on your washing and what horrendous rain in Oz! Bad news about people going into tier 3, I think it's more about some people not behaving as they should than about the new strain, if people did as they should they wouldn't be passing anything on. Infuriating for all of us who have followed the regulations.
Perhaps your emotional response to the music was as much about happy memories as the music itself. Good times will come again Caroline.

Nothing very uplifting about my day either:

A lovely sunny morning to wake up to, had been having silly dreams but can't remember what they were about. Was dithering about whether to go to the beach for a change of scenery, I'm currently restricted around the immediate area as the field and woods are so muddy so I'm not venturing into some places.

Had an early lunch, I needed to take a parcel to the petrol station for return so decided to go to the beach after that. Monday lunchtime has usually been quiet but when I parked I saw that there were cars at all the pumps. When I went inside there was a queue of about ten people snaking around the grocery fixtures, it unnerved me but I joined the end of it. People were distanced and wearing masks, however, I saw that the young man in front of me was holding something across his face, I realised it was the corner of his jacket. What does it take to keep a mask in the car or in your pocket for heaven's sake? There was only one person serving but when another came to help it speeded things up. Nevertheless I felt agitated and was glad to get out. I worked out later that I could only have been inside for five or six minutes at the most but it felt like ages.

My favourite beach is not far from there, it was between high and low tides, there was room to walk along the sand. Not as cold as yesterday, the wind was from the south and not so strong. Good to have a walk by the sea.

Some domestic chores when I got home, put a few Christmas decorations up. Not exactly up, more on - candles on a mirrored plate with silvered leaves, holly etc on the windowsill. A bit on the hearth. Only me to see it.

Curry for tea, I like having portions of meals I've made previously and frozen, it's so easy on days when I can't be bothered starting from scratch. Watched the Panorama programme about the development of the Oxford vaccine, quite fascinating. What dedicated people they are, I applaud them all.

Been feeling fed up again today despite the fine weather. Only a week now till the shortest day. Roll on 2021 and vaccine day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I just have to tell you all what a lovely hot Summers day we are having. ;D

Well, 2 weeks ago I went back to the club to play cards (500). First time back since our lockdown in March. Some new faces had joined and some old faces were now gone.
Have had 4 Christmas lunches all at different venues and now closed for Christmas break.

Just having a catch-up and see you have increasing numbers of cases and a new strain of covid. First in the world to get the new Vaccine. Unfortunately, I probably will be one of the last to get the jab due to my medical issues and allergies. The vaccine is not due here till about March 2021.

I see the Twins have arrived safely and a lovely photo as well. Congratulations.

P has had an eventful 2 weeks. He was allowed out of the hospital for 2 weeks, he went back in yesterday. He travelled to Auckland to speak with the transplant team as this is now his only option. He also had to have 2 teeth pulled. He has a donner from Germany, so will have his transplant in Feb/March next year. He has now started on round 3 of chemo so will spend his birthday in the hospital.
Have to pop out for a while but will be back later.

Stay safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Woke up to a lovely sunny morning - so uplifting - and it stayed that way until around 2pm.   Then just started getting darker and darker.   

So, having started off quite upbeat in the sunshine I then checked my phone only to discover that the smallest twin is back in ICU.   She's struggling to keep her oxygen levels up.   Consultant thinks she's struggling because she's so small and as she's just gone up to full feeds her body is too small to cope with breathing and digesting bigger feeds at the same time.   He thinks that once she's put on weight her lungs will increase in size and things will get easier for her. Because she needs to grow they are just giving her a small amount of oxygen through the prongs.   So not back on optiflow or anything yet.   They are also giving her antibiotics as a precaution.   I confess I was surprised things had gone so smoothly until now (2 weeks bar a day) bearing in mind their tiny size.

Decided it was time to put my Christmas tree up not that I'm feeling Christmassy one bit.   Putting it up was as far as I got - lights and baubles tomorrow.  My mind was all over the place and today has been a bit of a blur to be honest.

This coming Saturday my sister, b-in-law and myself are paying a swift visit to my cousin who lives in Mendlesham to deliver Christmas presents.   We won't go in for obvious reasons so the weather will determine how long we can chat outside.   Then us 3 are hoping we can find somewhere to have a meal but will have to see how it goes.   Sunday my sister and I are meeting our 2 friends at a small garden centre on the outskirts of town where you can be outside.   Again, the main objective is to swap Christmas presents and to chat of course as haven't seen them for quite some time now.

Had a really nice Christmas card put through my door yesterday - headed 'Lovely Neighbour' - but when I opened it I found it hadn't been signed!!!!   I'm guessing it might be from the nice couple in Flat 5 so will have to find out in due course.   Will find out from my downstairs neighbour if he had one too which will confirm my theory (or not).

Need to get my cards posted tomorrow and possibly a parcel too if I can find an appropriate box to fit it.   Was surprised to find when I attempted an order online for Matalan to find that even with click and collect wouldn't be available until 24th December.   So order aborted.

So, wonder what we'll hear from Boris on the 16th.   Will our county be another to be put in tier 3 - I truly hope not but know our number of new cases has been rising.

Annette               
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - good to hear you had a nice beach walk.... it can be quite scary having to stand in queues as you’re never sure of other people’s actions.... agree about the man with his coat over his face...
Yes music is a great reminder of happy/sad times.... her playing is very emotive and usually renders me to have a tear or two!

Annette- sorry to hear about smallest twin needing some additional help, hopefully she will improve and get stronger over the coming days.....
Hope you enjoy your outside get together and the weather stays mild and dry for you..

Carol - good to hear from you... don’t apologise for the weather you’re having as I’m sure we were commenting about ours when it was good!
Sorry to hear that P has had a tough time, hopefully with the prospect of an operation things will look up for him, good to hear a match has been found...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Carol, yes it is good to hear from you and I'm sure we'll forgive you for the taunts!  :) Lovely for you to be getting out and about enjoying things.
How amazing modern medicine is in finding a German donor for P, hope the next couple of weeks are not too trying for him.

Annette, sorry to hear about the baby, I'm sure they'll care for her well at the hospital.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Well, this morning was glorious sunshine,got a load of heavy things in washer
hung it out later but of course it rained so all inside.
An acquaintance called with a card, her hubby has had to go into residential care ,she gad a blood test for various things is diabetic and was told that the
blood count “ was one away from a tumour”—- I am not at all sure what thst means,she had bowel cancer some 23 years ago .
I felt very sorry for her.
We were conversing over the fence yards apart so I said go home ,get warm and I’ ll phone you in half an hour .
So we had a chat and she is at Oldham Hospital in a few days.
I have been a good bit better and getting on with things .
Drs on Friday.
A parcel arrived yesterday evening ,I had not ordered anything ,so as no place of origin I opened it instead of waiting as I usually do for about a week.
It was a bird feeder for attaching to your window ,now the night before I had been looking for one that would keep the food dry ,I hadn’t ordered —— or had I  :-*. Well at the bottom of the box was a little square of printed paper,the gift
 had come straight from the supplier and  was from Flash Harry .
I was ready to book myself into a home for the  confused.!
Well sorry to hear of the littlest baby ‘s problems and Peter having to wait for his transplant .
Those having  bad weather and not sleeping ,
We are in troubled times and some disturbances in our usual equilibrium are to be expected .

I had a good laugh this afternoon.
Listened to an old recording of Peter Sellars ,doing a play on Folk Singers.
The final one is an Irish singer in a pub,someone accuses a musician of playing a “ bum note”,well,all hell is let loose and it is so funny but all the more so for me because one night my OH  and I had gone out , our two sons and a neighbour’s son were playing  records.
They played the Peter Sellars one.
When we got home later ,the boys had gone to bed ,but there  was  a note
telling us the elderly very staid next door neighbours wanted to speak to us next morning !
I asked them what it was about ,they explained about the record and that the neighbours thought the boys were fighting and breaking furniture etc and would not believe the innocent explanation .
I went round next morning and try as I might I could not convince them there was no damage etc,it was a record —— but they would not believe me,I invited them in to see nothing was broken.
That actually made us laugh after we had told the boys off for having the record playing so loud .
I laughed again this evening .
Cheerio, sleep well and look after yourselves,
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear you're feeling better Viktoria, and what a lovely surprise to get a present from FH. It sounds like a lot of thought has gone into that. I hope everything works out well for your acquaintance.

It seems that reminiscences are common among us, both you and Caroline being reminded of happy times by music, albeit very different types! I think Peter Sellars was before his time with his brand of humour, just as funny now as in his heyday.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria- I’m so glad to hear you’re feeling better... I’ve every empathy with you regarding the washing and rain!
What lovely present from your FH, I’ll bet that made your day...
I loved Peter Sellers such a clever man and as Roobarb says before his time! I’ll bet he was a nightmare to live with... often how sometimes funny people can be so difficult in real life...
I remember when Eric Morecambe’s daughter came to talk to our WI - she lived in the next village - the tales she told about Eric...she dreading bringing boyfriends home as he’d get them all tongue tied or spin them a yarn of some sort...

Nice to have a chat with a friend too...
Take care all
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK