Author Topic: James Low Rae b. Arbroath 1872  (Read 2901 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Low Rae b. Arbroath 1872
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
When did James Rae marry Agnes Landells ?
I can see a marriage for a James Rae and Agnes Landells
1882 Dennistoun Lanark ?

Rosie

Unlikely if he was born 1872 - but a good match for the names. If James was born any earlier - am thinking he would be unlikely to be serving as a mere trooper in the Black Watch in 1915 as he would be at least 43 by then?

The army record is for James Low Rae
Birth date 1897
Dundee
Service number 5077,315961
The Scottish Horse Black Watch
Royal Highlanders

Discharge date 7 February 1919

Pension record can be viewed on Fold 3

Rosie

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The 3 Balgerry Place mentioned in an earlier reply was likely 3 Balgray Place. There was a James L Rae  at 3 Balgray Place in 1896 street directory.. A James Low Rae m a Jemima M Abbott in 1895 in Dundee. A Jemima Miller Rae nee Abbott, died in Dundee in 1955.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Is this your James Low Rae address 3,Balgerry Place Angus
James Low Rae age 29 born Arbroath occupation commercial clerk
Jemima Rae age 28 Dundee
Jemima Rae age 5 Dundee
James Rae age 3 born Dundee
Jessie Rae age 2 months born Aberdeen
Jessie Rae age 58 born Lumphanan ( mother )

Rosie

SP has a marriage for a James Low Rae / Jemima M Abbott , 1895 St Clement(Dundee) Angus.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 17:00 GMT (UK) »
ev  seen that marriage also .I think the birth  certificate for Jemima Rae is needed  ;)

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
The 3 Balgerry Place mentioned in an earlier reply was likely 3 Balgray Place. There was a James L Rae  at 3 Balgray Place in 1896 street directory.. A James Low Rae m a Jemima M Abbott in 1895 in Dundee. A Jemima Miller Rae nee Abbott, died in Dundee in 1955.

Should have been Balgray ..typo error will amend post  :-[

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
The James Rae who was married to an Agnes Landells in 1882, does not seem to have had a middle name Low. He died in 1920 and Agnes died in 1926 see https://billiongraves.com/grave/James-Rae/25037286. He and Agnes possibly had a daughter, Agnes Hogg Rae born in 1888 at Camlachie,  a son Joseph Landells Rae in 1886,  a David Landells Rae in 1890 and possibly a Jemima Rae in 1893, all Camlachie, as well as a James in c1885 and an Andrew in c1896. All living at Camlachie in 1901 at 9 Gate Side Street.

So, a James Rae and an Agnes Landells having two daughters with the same names, Agnes and Jemima, as those mentioned in opening post. Coincidence or...?

Ticketty Boo...as has been said by others, your great grandmother Jemima's birth certificate (and telling us the year), would be a good place to start and give some solid info on who her parents were. Your first post gives no indication of any dates, so we are looking to 'fit' people into the limited info you have provided,  who may or may not be red herrings.

Where did you glean the info that her mum was an Agnes Landells? Where did you glean the info that her dad was a James Low Rae rather than just a, for example, James Rae? Why do you suspect James' mum was a Jessie? The more we know where your details come from, the easier it might be to untangle any rogue ones and avoid mixing up quite distinct family groups, who both happen to feature the names James and Jemima, and with a Jessie in one too.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Ticketty Boo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Why was everyone in my tree skint ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Lots to do here.......

Firstly, I'm overwhelmed by everyone's generosity in helping me with their time and resources.

I'm hoping to go back to basics over the holiday period and establish facts, then work backwards from there.

Some info was gleaned via other trees on ancestry.co.uk. I appreciate that these are only as accurate as the info that somebody has entered and have seen numerous dates with other family members that just don't add up.

What I did find out...... is that a cousin in Australia is James Findlay the sixth - he was chuffed to bits in finding this out as he only thought he was the 3rd :-)

Cheers.
Goldie, Marshall, Findlay, Johnston, McKenzie, Kennedy, Dalziel

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Did notice some information was wrong on some of the tree's always best to check for yourself by certificates from S P for research in Scotland.I would suggest once you have time to start with your Great Grandmother and work back good luck

Rosie

Offline Ticketty Boo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Why was everyone in my tree skint ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 December 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
From Birth Certificate;

Jemima Rae (and Twin sister Mary!) was born at 9 Gateside St, Glasgow on 18th Jan 1893 to James Rae (Steel Worker) and Agnes Rae (Nee Landells). Twin sister Mary died later the same year of double pneumonia in the house where she was born - 9 Gateside Street, Dennistoun, Glasgow.

James and Agnes were married 14th July 1899 in Glasgow.

I can't find a marriage certificate for them sadly.

Update...................

James Low Rae born 17 Sep 1876 at 16 Dudhope St Dundee Thomas Rae and Helen Low.
Thomas and Helen were married 11 June 1875 in Dundee.

Thomas was the son of Thomas Rae and Mary (nee. Younger) of Castle Court, Dundee
Helen was the daughter of James Low and Jane (nee. Smith) of 18 Bell Street Lane, Dundee
Goldie, Marshall, Findlay, Johnston, McKenzie, Kennedy, Dalziel