Author Topic: James McClelland  (Read 614 times)

Offline Ealasaid McLelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McClelland
« on: Tuesday 15 December 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather James McClelland married Martha Jane Hall in Seagoe Parish 26 Oct 1866. James was a widower when he married Martha Jane. His location is listed as Edenderry Parish of Seagoe. His father was William McClelland pensioner.

I have looked for James 1st wife and have not found anyone. James shows in the Griffiths valuation in 1864 as a lessor. I have checked Roots Ireland, Irishgeneology.ie and Scotland for his 1st wife. I am not sure if I have missed something since I cannot find her.

Also I would like to find out if I could tell if James father William is an Army pensioner or not. Perhaps this would lead me to determine where James McClelland was from in Ireland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a stand still. Attached is a copy of their marriage certificate and the Griffith's valuation document - thank you.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: James McClelland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 17:15 GMT (UK) »
You haven’t said what age James was but if he is old enough to have married in Ireland before 1845 then the records probably won’t be on-line. If he married in Seagoe you would need to get a researcher to check the church records (as detailed in your other post).

Did James die in Scotland? If so, his death certificate may give his first wife’s name.

You wonder where James was from in Ireland. I’d start by searching the baptism records for Seagoe. That was where he was living before he moved to Scotland. It seems the most obvious place to start.
Elwyn

Offline Ealasaid McLelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn,

Thank you.  James McClelland died in Scotland his death certificate said he was 58 years old and married to Martha Jane Hall.
My grandfather was the informer - his signature on the certificate and I doubt he knew James (his father) was married before.

I will look into hiring a researcher - again thanks for your insight.