Author Topic: Intriguing unreadable line  (Read 686 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Intriguing unreadable line
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 December 20 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I’m not on board with “been”. The last letter in particular looks like a superscript abbreviation. I think it could be “He has hitherto Recd.[received] a frequent visitor”, i.e., someone who visited him in prison.

Steve

Yes,  that's what I see too, meaning that the writer noted that one person frequently visited him in prison.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 December 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I've had another look and agree that the word "been" is badly written, but the context is that this boy was released on licence (a sort of parole) to work at a colliery and called in at the school several times during that time. The snippet I posted was preceded by "Several boys who went home for their holiday [a week at Christmas] inform me that Adams was doing well and that he talks of calling in on me." And then it says, I now think, "He has hitherto been a frequent visitor."

So, I think "been" is correct, but I am grateful for the alternative suggestion, as it is all too easy to predict what is coming rather than is what is actually there.

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 December 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
In the context, “been” does seem to make more sense.