Author Topic: 3/8th (Irish) Battn K.L.R.  (Read 512 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3/8th (Irish) Battn K.L.R.
« on: Tuesday 15 December 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Is there any way to find out where this unit (possibly A company?) were/ what they were doing between June and November 1915?

and can anyone tell me what L.W.P.C. may have been in attached section of the Pensions Index card?

Background:
Pte William Boyne no 4416.
Though no service record seems to have survived and he does not seem to have qualified for any medals. There is a set of documents in the Pensions records which has the papers relating to his discharge.

He attested on 1st June 1915, appears to have served 'at home' and was discharged on 4th November 1915  as not being likely to become an efficient soldier on Medical Grounds. Place of discharge says Weston (or Weetow its difficult to read)  Camp - which then appears to be crossed out - then it says Blackpool.
The discharge form also says he was in Company 'A' - or that's the way I read it

He died on 6th Jan 1918 in Liverpool of Pulmonary Tuberculosis which, according to his death he'd had for 2 years and 2 months. As he'd been a cattledrover, from a large family of cattledrovers nearly all of whom died from TB, that was not a huge surprise.

However, I 'was' surprised to find that there is a Pensions Index card for  his dependants.
That names his widow and 5 children under the age of 16 - though not another two who were born after he was discharged.

The record quotes his discharge date and date and cause of death which agrees with his death cert - then there is a note by the cause that says it was aggravated by Active Service. The army must have agreed about this as they awarded his widow a pension of 37/11 a week for her and the children.

Thanks
Boo

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3/8th (Irish) Battn K.L.R.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear
I do have those, which is how I knew the date he attested etc but as they were in the Pensions records on Ancestry, so I am unsure if the actual service record would have had further pages and info - had it survived that is :-)

Boo

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tony

I had been guessing at what it may have been (I usually can only manage whole words and acronyms bamboozle me) and managed the pensions committee part but the first two letters had too many 'possibles' to be sure.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again ShaunJ.

Now you have told me what the name was that is what it says in the discharge record.
Funny how I can read it once someone tells me what it says :-)

Boo

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »

Is there any way to find out where this unit (possibly A company?) were/ what they were doing between June and November 1915?

and can anyone tell me what L.W.P.C. may have been in attached section of the Pensions Index card?

Background:
Pte William Boyne no 4416.
Though no service record seems to have survived and he does not seem to have qualified for any medals. There is a set of documents in the Pensions records which has the papers relating to his discharge.

He attested on 1st June 1915, appears to have served 'at home' and was discharged on 4th November 1915  as not being likely to become an efficient soldier on Medical Grounds. Place of discharge says Weston (or Weetow its difficult to read)  Camp - which then appears to be crossed out - then it says Blackpool.
The discharge form also says he was in Company 'A' - or that's the way I read it

He died on 6th Jan 1918 in Liverpool of Pulmonary Tuberculosis which, according to his death he'd had for 2 years and 2 months. As he'd been a cattledrover, from a large family of cattledrovers nearly all of whom died from TB, that was not a huge surprise.

However, I 'was' surprised to find that there is a Pensions Index card for  his dependants.
That names his widow and 5 children under the age of 16 - though not another two who were born after he was discharged.

The record quotes his discharge date and date and cause of death which agrees with his death cert - then there is a note by the cause that says it was aggravated by Active Service. The army must have agreed about this as they awarded his widow a pension of 37/11 a week for her and the children.

Thanks
Boo

Boo

Weston Camp thought was possibly this one Watson Park Road Blackpool

Though Entry on Attestation does not anything like Watson more Weston Camp

Never saw ShaunJ Postcard find of King's at Weeton Camp

What a find !

I'll have to go to Specsavers !

https://www.visitfyldecoast.info/about-the-fylde-coast/history/war-and-the-blackpool-area/

This History of the King's on Forces site lists 2/8 & 2/9  as Forming  in Liverpool Oct 1914 they moved in November 1914 and all went to Canterbury area for Training February 1915 probably before going over with rest of the King's in November 1915

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/259/kings-liverpool-regiment

No mention of a 3/8th other than on his June 1915 Attestation.

My Wife's Granddad Attested with the 2/8th in Jun 1914 but Discharged January 1915 as unfit.

CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:21 GMT (UK) »