Author Topic: Help with DNA match please  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with DNA match please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 December 20 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you need to look at the shared matches of your friend and this cousin. Build up their trees, and look for common ancestors, but remember you are looking at what has been recordered, and that is not always the truth! This is how I discovered my grandmother had an affair which resulted in my father. Jayne

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I have family in India and the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) helped me find their names and their history! They do it for free but do ask for a small donation. I'm not sure how they're working now with Covid-19, but they maybe able to help.  :)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I have family in India and the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) helped me find their names and their history! They do it for free but do ask for a small donation. I'm not sure how they're working now with Covid-19, but they maybe able to help.  :)

Many thanks for the help appreciated will give them a try.
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 January 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
There are several relationships this size of match could be. Dont forget half relations, half uncle or aunt. The shared matches comment is a good one. Build groups beginning with that match and share relationships. Then go to the next best match that is not in that group and do the same. Soon you will have relationship groups. Study the available trees from those groups and identify the most recent common ancestor. It takes work but it will pay off.

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
There are several relationships this size of match could be. Dont forget half relations, half uncle or aunt. The shared matches comment is a good one. Build groups beginning with that match and share relationships. Then go to the next best match that is not in that group and do the same. Soon you will have relationship groups. Study the available trees from those groups and identify the most recent common ancestor. It takes work but it will pay off.

Many thanks
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England