Author Topic: Great or Grand  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Paul 77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Great or Grand
« on: Wednesday 16 December 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I’m sure this has probably been discussed before somewhere, but for a couple of days now Ancestry (ancestry.co.uk login) has been displaying all my great uncles and aunts as granduncles and grandaunts. (With all the ensuing alterations to higher levels in the tree.)

I emailed in with the obvious question, and had an online chat with one of their supposed “expert users” who said they thought it was an intentional change.

I’ve never heard the terms grand uncle or grand aunt used in UK, has anyone?

Paul

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great or Grand
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Grand is the correct term as they are sibs of ones grandparents - but great is often used.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Gadget however 'grand' is not a normal term used in the UK, but it is a normal term in the USA and ancestry is a US company
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Also ensure you were logged into the co.uk site and not .com.  That might make a difference.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Paul 77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
That wasn’t the reason. (I did mention I was using the .co.uk login earlier.)

Other family members have seen the same change. 

Ancestry’s first idea was to suggest I checked I was logged out, deleted cookies and restarted my browser.  That seems to be line 1 on their help script, it’s never solved a problem for me yet.   

Having said that, it’s been quite common for them to switch you to the US version of the site because of their webpage coding faults, that’s sometimes why you get asked to login again mid session.  But I don’t recall that ever changing the relationship names.

Paul

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked at random and find that I have a person labelled Half great grand aunt. She was a half great great aunt last time I looked.

I am definitely on .co.uk
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
For me, this has been an 'off / on' problem for some months. I contacted Ancestry a couple of times and got the usual response, 'log out, delete cookies etc'. They even suggested that I was logged in under '.com' !! My response was that having been with Ancestry for over 15 years, I knew what site I was logged into. I didn't get a response to that!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't see it as a major problem.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Not a major problem, just a 'niggly one'. As has been said, Ancestry is a USA company and we have to accept things like this. As Gadget posted, 'grand' really is the correct term, it's just that people in the UK prefer to use 'great'.