Author Topic: Packhorse track between Halifax and Burnley?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Packhorse track between Halifax and Burnley?
« on: Wednesday 16 December 20 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I never know whether to ask these questions on the Lancashire section or the West Yorkshire section.  I am trying to understand some ancestors who seem to have moved from Halifax, West Yorkshire, to Burnley, Lancashire, and ended up in Walsden.

Somebody said there was a packhorse track that went between Halifax and Burnley?

My ancestor Grace Nowell was born in 1788 in Halifax to William Nowell and Mary.

She married Robert Smith in Whalley, Lancashire on 2nd January 1806 at St Peter, Burnley, "Robert Smith of Briercliffe and Grace Nowell of Burnley.

I think Grace died in October 1858 in Walsden, but not certain that is the correct person.

They had four children, Olive Smith born 1806, William Smith 1807-1860, James Smith 1810-1881 and Sally Smith 1815-1901.

Sally Smith was my ancestor, born 24th December 1815, Heptonstall, died 11th February 1901 Todmorden.  Married Samuel Fielden, born 1813 Todmorden died 4th April 1847 Todmorden.  I have both their death certificates.  They married on 28th December 1834 at St Chad, Rochdale.  They had five children, my ancestor Jane Fielden 1835-1887, Mary Fielden b 1839, Peggy (Margaret) Fielden b 1840, Smith Fielden 1844-1903, and Grace Fielden 1846-1896.

Smith Fielden was the ancestor of somebody with a well researched Ancestry tree, who I don't match DNA with.  I don't know if that is just due to the distance or maybe I made a mistake somewhere, or maybe there was a different father somewhere.  I did wonder if my ancestor Jane Fielden might have had a different father, as her parents were married in December 1834 and she was born in 1835.

The only DNA match I have on this entire line is with a descendent of William Smith 1807-1860, the brother of Sally Smith1815-1901, and I share 15cM on one segment with this person.

I am struggling to get any idea of who these ancestors were, and that one DNA match is hopeful that I have the right ancestors in Robert and Grace Smith.  He is described as a "husbandman", not sure what that was?

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Packhorse track between Halifax and Burnley?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes there was a  packhorse route between Halifax and Burnley. Google it and and you will get plenty of info to read.

Husbandman was a farmer.

guest189040

Re: Packhorse track between Halifax and Burnley?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 23:00 GMT (UK) »
If you look for The Long Causeway on Gooogle that will give you the probable routes, even today its a bit bleak up there.

A far better route is via the valleys from Halifax to Hebden Bridge then on to Todmorden then on to Burnley.

A Husbandman looks after livestock, particularly cattle.

I see 8 trees on Ancestry and the first one does query if they have the right Sally Smith.

15cM DNA match timescale fits the bill with a highest probability but there is the possibility of another pathway to a more recent descendent.