Author Topic: Craig - flax farmers in Gortree  (Read 3555 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Craig - flax farmers in Gortree
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline N4Naomi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
Those records do look like they relate to William and John but I suppose we can't be sure. That would mean Samuel and Charlotte may have been the only two who married. It's strange that I can't find anything about Emma.

Offline N4Naomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 June 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
Since my last contact I've made interesting progress and been able to find Charlotte (Craig) Ferguson's farm (that was very informative) and I was given photographs linking my father-in-law. However the contact has been unable to shed any light about what became of the other 3 of Charlotte's children: She said Emma Florence Adelaide Ferguson (b. 19/5/1898) went to USA and I have found  she travelled in 1925 and was in the 1930 Census (living in Massachusetts) but have been unable to find a marriage, children or death since that. Also I am unable to get any further information on sons Samuel Craig Ferguson (1902) or John James Ferguson (1906) after Charlotte died. I'm wondering if they emigrated. Would anyone have any information that could help?

Offline JayJay55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 November 21 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello there folks, new to Rootschat and fascinated to read this information about the Craigs of Gortree.  William Craig was my great great grandfather, Susan Semple Craig my great grandmother so all relevant to me. 
Need to digest all the information.  Thank you for your posts.  Regards JayJay

Offline JayJay55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 January 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  Just doing an check on the Craigs on Ancestry and came by the William Bannatyne Craig death record posted on another tree and previously mentioned in this thread.  Strangely when I looked up the death on the Victorian BDM site it lists it as a Birth Certificate not death and the place of birth is Yambuk (near Pt Fairy in Victoria) which does not have a connection to our Craigs that I am aware of. I also looked on the Geelong Cemetery Trust website and found nothing for W.B. Craig although there are numerous Craig family members buried here including (Ernest) John and Sarah. 
Believe that record may need to be investigated a bit more to include with our Craigs.
Best wishes for the new year to all.  Cheers JayJay

Offline N4Naomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 January 22 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely agree JayJay55.

Offline Harlow Lux

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 August 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am super new and this is my first post here but I have a huge amount of detail relating to the family tree at Gortee Farm; Crooks, Ferguson, etc. I am happy to post images of photos of the relatives from the family showing James & Charlotte Ferguson and their children etc. I also have the details of how the farm was passed down and out of my own Ferguson line. This thread is so old and I am a total newbie to searching family trees but I think I just found mine. Mary Crooks and John Ferguson were my great grandparents.