Author Topic: John Faracker DoB c 1820 & Mary Farragher DoB c 1820  (Read 659 times)

Offline Wendwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Faracker DoB c 1820 & Mary Farragher DoB c 1820
« on: Thursday 17 December 20 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is my first time on RootsChat and it is probably a long shot.

I am seeking information about these ancestors who I understand migrated from Co. Mayo to Liverpool as a married couple. It may be that Mary took John's name and ended up with a different spelling due to illiteracy?

Has anyone come across a marriage in Co Mayo that might have been for this couple?

My late father left notes on his research. I am trying to update and where possible extend them.

My dad had John Farracker's occupation as Mariner and thought this might account for lack of Census information.

Best wishes of the season

Wendwell

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Faracker DoB c 1820 & Mary Farragher DoB c 1820
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 20 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could the spelling be Faragher?

You can check on www.irishgenealogy.ie under Civil Records, and will see deaths of a number of Faragher folk, mostly around Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo.  These people were born around the same time as your John.

There are numerous Faragher folk listed, nearly all from Ballinrobe, Co Mayo but a few in nearby Galway.

Do you know where your John came from?

Kind regards

Offline Wendwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt reply and helpful suggestions.

It may well be that other spellings of the last names were used for John and Mary, especially if they relied on others to write what they said.

I have no more precise information than Co. Mayo and even this comes from word-of-mouth. I imagine my father heard older people mentiong it as he was growing up in the 1920s.

Paul Burns

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Were they married before arriving in Liverpool?
Have you found Mary on a census?
Did Mary & John have children born in England? If they did, Mary's maiden surname should have been recorded on birth certificates and been added to the index to GRO Births Register. You can look them up on GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/ or on FREE BMD.
Were John & Mary Catholic? Another way to find Mary's maiden surname is to look for their children in R.C. baptism registers.
Did John & Mary have any children born in Ireland who accompanied them to Liverpool and survived to become adults? If so, you could try to follow each through censuses to see what information they gave about place of birth.
Could you please summarise information in your father's notes + sources so that we know what is already known and has been researched? 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 December 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Was this them in Liverpool on 1861 census with son John? Surname transcribed as FARRIER. From Family Search. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7PW-7ZQ
I couldn't find them on 1851 or 1871 censuses.
There may have been a few variants of their surname in English records. 
Cowban

Offline Wendwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 December 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the further replies and suggestions.

The Farrier one looks unlikely as nothing suggests they had a son.

I should have mentioned the couple had a daughter. This is what I know about her and the parents. Quote marks are used for my dad's notes

MaryAnn Faracher

“As yet (1999) I lack positive proof of birthplace in Ireland, but almost certainly in County Mayo. 1891 Census identifies her age 34, born in Ireland and maiden name, Farragher. But spelling on her son Michael's baptism certificate is Farrichar, as is the spelling on her signature on marriage document.”

So born c. 1857

MaryAnn married a Michael Dodd on 11/8/1874 in Liverpool.

In the 1881 Census she and Michael are living at 16 Llewelyn Street, Liverpool.

Maryann is daughter of John Farracher, born c. 1820.

“He may have remarried on 25/2/1895 at Our Lady's R.C., Eldon St., Liverpool to a Margaret Boyle, the widow of James Mallan.”

MaryAnn’s mother was Mary Farragher, born Co Mayo c. 1820  and married John Farracher c. 1840.

At the time of her death in a Workhouse Infirmary in Liverpool on 21 Sep 1875, her home address was 38 Court Hornby Street, Liverpool.

My father had a copy of the Death Certificate, but this has not come to me. He noted her death was recorded in the “Deaths Index Sept Qtr 1875 m/f 2540 Liverpool 8B 117.”