Author Topic: Diary - Thursday 17th December  (Read 500 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 17th December
« on: Thursday 17 December 20 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I’m making an early start tonight due to lack of sleep last night and quite tired!

Took me ages to get to sleep finally about 2 ish I think and got woken by a loud thud... could have been at bird flying into the window... it was 6am! Couldn’t get back to sleep so typed two letters to cousins and added some photos...Today was another sunny day, OH was playing golf today so I had the house to myself... what shall I do such excitement... well I couldn’t go out for walk as having, for the first time, booked a parcel collection from Royal Mail for today... our postman could come any time...
I decided to give the house a good clean... out came my trusty vacuum and all my cleaning gear... I’d promised a friend I’d call her at 11am and we had a lovely chat whilst I did all my ironing! We have similar likes so it was great to have a long chat... after we’d finished our call I had some lunch and then did some paperwork, paid some bills etc... I noticed a friend had tried to WhatsApp video call me and I’d missed her so I gave her a call back... we had a good natter... so nice to see one another even via video as we’ve only seen one another once since March!
Continued cleaning upstairs after finishing our call and was knee deep in shower cleaning when my daughter FaceTimed me... so I chatted to her whilst I finished... we’re trying to sort out meeting outside halfway somewhere on 23rd or 24th to exchange presents...
OH back from golf... looking quite tired and very stiff... no motorised trolleys allowed as ground to wet and pulling one is quite hard and he’s at all the wrong angles...
Post man arrived late afternoon and took my parcel... I said I liked the idea of not having to go to the PO to do it... he joked and said don’t make it a regular habit of It though... cheeky chap...
Still had more paperwork to finish doing... don’t know where it all comes from! There’s me thinking the internet would reduce it!
We had chicken casserole and vegs for dinner...
Watched film about Steve Jobbs... never realised what an egocentric man he was not giving credit where it was due for sure...
Retired to bed early as not much sleep last night...

Hope it’s been a sunny day for others.... we know it has for Carol in NZ as she’d told us yesterday!
More local towns been moved into tier 3... glad we live where we do ...
Take care all and stay safe...
My friends mother aged 92 had her vaccine jab today... my friend  got quite emotional about it... such a relief for them... second one early January...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 17th December
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was hot here on Thursday  :D  So hot that I closed all my curtains and blinds at 3 pm. My house is a sun trap. The early morning sun hits the kitchen and bathroom areas than moves round to lounge and bedrooms. Not dark till after 9pm.

Watched the yacht races yesterday afternoon. Not the yacht races I remember from my childhood, all getting very technical now. The build-up to America's Cup next year. Yelled for Team NZ when they raced and for Team UK when it was their turn. Very heartbreaking to watch Team UK come to a halt. Hope they can get up and running soon. They could be the team that comes from behind as it has happened before. Friday has Team NZ against Team UK for 2 races.

It is a bit worrying with all the Festivals on over Christmas with such huge crowds. So much could go wrong so very quickly. It is fine not having covid here but I remain cautious. I still restrict myself in what I do.
The garden is going fine. No water restrictions yet. We always seem to get them every summer. No ripe tomatoes yet but not far away.
I too am having trouble sleeping at night as it is so humid and hot. The fan I have seems to be blowing warm air around not cold. I just seem to get to sleep when I hear my neighbour start his truck before he heads off to work at 6.13am. He has only been late once in 3 years. I was given sleeping tablets but they do not seem to work well.
Of to battle the shops for a few things I need.
Hoping you all wake up to a lovely day.
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 20 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Not surprised you were tired Caroline but considering you had such an early start you still packed a lot into your day. Lovely to be able to take some time out to chat with friends and your daughter, what good news about your friend's mum getting the vaccine.

Carol, I can almost feel the heat of the sun coming from your words! I'm pleased to hear that you're being cautious, better to be safe than sorry. Hope the rest of the yacht racing goes well for both teams.

Here's how my day went:

Was pleased to wake up to a sunny day today after all the rain yesterday. Wrote out all the Christmas cards that I needed to post, I'd decided to take them to the postbox at a small post office on the way into town as the one near me only has one collection a day and it's very early in the morning.

Had a long phone call with a friend, we were talking about how long we think it will be before everyone can travel again and we ended up swapping tales of past travels, one of mine being about my first ever trip abroad, I enjoyed our chat.

Straight after lunch I got ready to go out, after posting the cards I would go down to the beach near town as I was going in that direction. I was supposed to be going for a walk with my friend J tonight but I got a message from her last night to say she wouldn't be able to make it.
I got halfway to the beach when I realised I hadn't brought a hat, my hood would have to do. The tide was out far enough that I wouldn't have to hop over the groynes so I went down onto the beach. It was freezing!! When I doubled back I headed for some steps up to the path, it's a bit sheltered by the land behind and wasn't nearly so cold.

When I got home I went to put some recycling in the bin and was looking at the clematis that's now losing its leaves. I decided to tie it in to the trellis so it's not a mess when it starts to grow again. Rearranged bits of the ivy too, couldn't believe I was gardening in mid December, it didn't take long. Did a few other chores then made changes to my grocery order for tomorrow.

In the evening I watched the last episode of Portrait Artist, the commission was a portrait of a Cuban ballet dancer. I was much more interested in the dancer than this particular artist. They were at the Birmingham Royal Ballet, sitting amongst the costumes, it brought back happy memories of seeing many performances by that company, the last one being on 14th March this year.
As for the portrait- the best I can say about it is that it wasn't quite as bad as I anticipated. Of course the judges were full of admiration but it seemed to me like a case of the Emperor's new clothes. In my opinion it's the worst choice they've made throughout all the series.

Heavy rain and blustery winds forecast tomorrow, in fact it's started already. Oh well, I enjoyed the sunshine while it was here.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 December 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I hope Viktoria is okay, I think she was going to the doctor's today, she hasn't been on Rootschat since this morning.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 December 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,It is I !
Yes ,Dr’s this morning .
She was very kind, abd said to go back if I am not comfortable as they are open up to 24thDec.
Daughter phoned this evening to see how I had fared ,and said given how things are going she felt I should not travel,anything could happen ,weather even.
It was such a relief , so I am really settled to being here .Son said he would call ,but I don’t expect him to do that ,a nice easy day for us all .
Second son phoned yesterday to thank me for their Christmas cheque and he phoned his sister to say I really was happy to be here by myself ,given what is happening ,not to worry as it was the safest thing to do for all concerned.
Hope you all get better sleep, wonder why that happens ?
Are we worried, etc?
You all seem to be doing everything right ,can’t do more really ,so I hope you
soon get back in your sleep patterns.
Gosh what a racket in the garden this morning, had hung up a suet feeder,
with a block with insects and berries in it, three belligerent  starlings and two larger blackbirds were fighting !
Starlings won.
Rain ,rain, and more rain!
Got a  nice neighbour a little present, hand wash and hand lotion .
Must wrap it up.
Books for the four children,two each of past pupils .
One each for the two five + girls ,Shaun the Sheep puzzle books and two - again the same ex pupils’ little girls ,much younger books for them.
The parents are very thoughtful , do I need shopping etc!
Well my spare bedroom looks as if vandals have been in ,wrapping paper, boxes from decorations etc, presents to be wrapped ,some storage jars waiting for when grand daughter can come to collect them, plus curtains I bought but have never used , etc etc!.
No matter, no one will come in ,it is cluttered but not dirty .
Won’t take long to organise .
Must phone Bury Town Hall, a document that proves I am still alive must be signed by The Leader of the Council  , that Council tax has been paid etc,it is for the Belgian Pensions Authority.Hope it can be posted rather than  me having to go in person ,which is what usually happens.
I have to pay£10 for the signature .
Not complaining.

Any news of the babies? And Peter?
Anyone else going to be dining alone on Christmas Day?
It really won’t worry me, whatever happens in normal times,it is almost never we are all together.
When I think, cooking for ten, starter, too.
Turkey and pork, I was gluttton for punishment !
But very happy times , especially when son number two was riding grandson’s
( Flash Harry’s daddy) scooter in the house and backed into a lovely cabinet that had been my parents’,and broke a very intricate pane of glass ! He was only thirty + too!
Well lots of cards waiting to be opened and hung up.
Some parcels too.
Tried some Richmond vegan  sausages today, they were very nice ,tasty
and a good texture so had sausage and mash with tinned peas( what else)
and onion gravy.
Food organised for the week, not a lot to do ,last minute clean and tidy etc abd relax.
I have Victoria Wood’s lovely film “That  Day We Sang” ,about Manchester School children’s Choir, making a record of Nymphs and  Shepherds .
My husband was in the choir that made another record by Manchester Schoolchildren of the same songs ,during the war, not the original one some years earlier .A RootsChatter made a copy for me and kindly sent it, how kind.
Got a nice letter ,well two ,in cards .
I had sent cards to two ladies who live next door to each other ,I met them when on holiday in Spain last year.
They picked me up when I fell at The Alhambra ,and took photos for me and
held my hands all round The Grand Mosque ,and the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella.
So kind .
I am looking forward to making mince pies , used to make eight dozen!
Give some to next door and next door but one.Both good neighbours .
Well folks,  this is not getting things done , but looking at the clock perhaps another case of Manana!
Goodnight and hope you sleep well.
Viktoria.

, one each for the much younger toddlers of
 were

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Very pleased to hear from you Viktoria and good to hear all your news. I think you have made the right decision to stay home, the fact that you felt relieved after speaking to your daughter about it tells me that it's what you wanted. I'll be home alone too, I have been for several years now and it doesn't bother me at all. My lovely neighbour will be sending my dinner round for me once more, always enjoyable and even more so when you don't have to cook it! There's always such a lot, it does me for two meals. They're a lovely family and I always feel secure knowing that they're there.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 20 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
Well, The South East in Tier Four!
New restrictions for us all, so it is as well I am staying at the palatial Chez Moi
Grand Hotel!
Room service in every room, meals served whenever I want, endless cups of tea, en suite facilities, well the bathroom door is next to the bedroom door.
No seriously ,I am sorry for those whose plans have just gone out of the window.
Opened a parcel today, as did not know what it was and all my orders have been delivered.
A big calender, twelve photographs of  Flash  Harry, natural shots  taken when he was not always aware .Can see family likeness .

Good programme tonight about Manchester ,it’s part in the abolition  of slavery, food prices and the real cost of Peterloo.Women’s Social and Political Movement Movement ,Suffragettes.

I missed the original film where Magwitch the convict frightens the life out of you when he comes from behind the gravestone ,on last week.

Hope everyone is well and gets some refreshing sleep.

I must put another suet block out so blue tits can eat in peace away from Starlings.
I am sure I have seen a large outer cage  with mesh big enough to let little birds get at the inner  feeder but  not bigger birds.

Well earlier night tonight, I think , so Goodnight sleep well, and “ speak “ you you again soon .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely surprise for you to receive the calendar Viktoria. The bird feeders you mentioned are sold as squirrel proof bird feeders, there are lots available online from Amazon, Wilko, lots of other places. I think you'd have to look at the details to see what size the holes are.
Last year I noticed a very large pigeon on one of my bird feeders, it was determined to get at the contents but kept falling off!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham