Author Topic: ALBERT DAVIES coseley to montreal  (Read 783 times)

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ALBERT DAVIES coseley to montreal
« on: Saturday 19 December 20 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Firstly Merry Christmas to you all.

I have had a very emotional week.   

My Quest to search for the whereabouts of my Great Grandfather really started in earnest in 2008 after the death of my father. He wasn't my father's grand father but my mothers. She was struggling with losing Dad so we tried to find the answer to a family story that had haunted her family for years to help to keep her busy after losing her husband.

My Mother's Mom Hannah Higgins was born in 1911 She was bought up bearing her mother's maiden name by her Grandmother after her Father left to go to Canada.

The story Nan was told was this.

Her Mother and father had a relationship, her Mother fell pregnant and at this time other family members, my Great Grand cousins and some Aunts and Uncles were leaving England to go to Montreal.  She was told her father Albert Davies left to go with them.

Nan claimed that at some point in her young life he came back from Canada and with another male attempted to Abduct her with the intention of taking her back to Canada with him.

A forwarding address was left for mail in Albert street Montreal and apparently letters were sent from her father bit she didn't get to read them as they were burnt by her Mother.

My Mom and I searched long and hard to try and join dots, searching passenger lists, bibliotheque street directories, wrote to Canadian archives, all sorts but to no avail. We couldn't find any trace of Albert and were finally left believing that Nan had been lied to and her father was probably some other Albert who moved away to a further part of England. My Mom then died not being any wiser in 2014.

Fast forward to 2020.
For my Birthday my husband purchased for me a DNA kit. I sent off the test not expecting much.

It shows I'm a fair UK mix and scandinavian and Germanic which was a surprise. Then I hit on the DNA matches section.

First listing was my first cousin and 4th listing was my second cousins daughter but second and third was a lady with the surname Davies and the third was man with that surname too. I had no idea of who these people were so at first was a little perplexed. Even the surname didn't ring out in my head straight away but when it did my pulse rate quickened. I opened her tree and her grandfather was listed as an Albert Davies

I searched a little further through DNA matches and then found more cousins who were again Davies who had researched Albert Davies further and linked him straight to Coseley and dying in Montreal. The time, ages and details all match and From their trees I have been able to find a photograph of two of my great grandfathers sons who have known no life other than the one they had in Canada and possibly not been aware that they had another half sister in England plus half nieces and a half nephew.
I wish my Mom.had been here to share this wonderful.discovery too.

I have messaged a couple of the DNA matches to explain how I know.we are linked bit as of yet there's been no response from.them. All I'd love now is a photograph of Albert hopefully before my last remaining Aunt is no longer here.

I've found my Great Grandfather and can now research my Davies line in Coseley and Sedgley and also hopefully my new found other family in Canada.

In what has been an awful year in so many ways This has truly meant the absolute world and I wanted to share it with people who have a like minded fascination of where we come from.

thanks for reading.

Dawn
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALBERT DAVIES coseley to montreal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
What a truly heartwarming story Dawn! Thanks for sharing!   I  feel sad that your Mum didn't get to be part of the discovery but at last; you've had that ultimate DNA experience that many of us hope for :-)

Best of wishes that your Davies family get in touch - and you can add the surname to you signature with full confidence now, too :-D

Have a happy and safe Christmas!
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 December 20 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post here?

https://www.rootschat.co

m/forum/index.php?

topic=841704

not quite duplicate. the header is asking for information for more recent generations on Staffordshire pages to look for his brothers and sisters in the Midlands.

many thanks.
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
If its UK info you need then there is an ancestry tree with Alfred Davies Snr on census from 1861 thru to 1911 - so worth a look there, it lists all Albert's siblings.
Louisa Gettings from 1861 thru to 1911

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
That is possibly what I already have thankyou Sandra. I'm more interested in seeing if I can find any .ore recent relatives either here in the UK or in Canada. thankyou so much though for taking the trouble.to respond x

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
That is possibly what I already have thankyou Sandra. I'm more interested in seeing if I can find any .ore recent relatives either here in the UK or in Canada. thankyou so much though for taking the trouble.to respond x

This a split request for info for Davies family in Staffordshire and Canada.
If you needed info in Canada, then the Canada board would be your best option.
Otherwise we are in danger of duplicating.

Relates to Canada

This is the obit for a daughter Jean Davies/Pizzuto of Albert Davies and Jean Findlay Davies

Jean Findlay Davies Pizzuto - obituary - published in The Gazette on May 6, 2003.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/montrealgazette/obituary.aspx?n=jean-pizzuto&pid=157282951

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Relates to Canada.

Dominic Pizzuto - husband of Jean Davies/Pizzuto (above)

Dominic 1923 - 2009

In Glengary Memoral Hospital, passed away January 08, 2009 Mr Dominic Pizzuto, beloved husband of Jean Davies.

Funeral will take place on January 20, 2009 11:00 AM at the following address: Complex's Chapel.

https://www.urgelbourgie.com/en/necrology-obituaries/11533?fullname=dominic-pizzuto

Published in The Gazette on Jan. 17, 2009.

https://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/montrealgazette/dominic-pizzuto-condolences/122944741?cid=full

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 December 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Relates to Canada  Jean Elizabeth (nee Woods) Davies - wife of Alfred Richard Davies (1914 - 1997)

The Gazette Montreal, Quebec, Canada 18 Sep 2001, Tue    Page 46

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/65590602/jean-elizabeth-nee-wood-davies-18/

Sandra