Author Topic: Herbert, Henry & Sylvia Bender circa 1918 with mystery aunt  (Read 641 times)

Offline Chrissyan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert, Henry & Sylvia Bender circa 1918 with mystery aunt
« on: Saturday 19 December 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. This lovely photo is of my orphaned Grandfather with his brother & sister on the North Yorkshire Moors. I believe the mystery lady, is an aunt on their maternal side, however there were several. I am working on the theory that it is Hilda Schumm 1890 to 1956 and I have been sent a photo of Hilda in later life to compare.

I was wondering if any kind person could sharpen up the features of the lady on the moors, to help me compare them. Many thanks  :)

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert, Henry & Sylvia Bender circa 1918 with mystery aunt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »

Offline Chrissyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 December 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks japeflakes   :) Can I also ask your opinion on whether the lady in picture 2 could be the lady on the moors?

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 20 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Too hard for me to say.  Sorry. Others will know better

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 20 21:14 GMT (UK) »
It could be.

I wonder if Tomkin or Peter could get more detail in her face with one of their AI filters :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a different person; no bags beneath the eyes and a squarer jaw line, regards, John.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
In later life, people do acquire bags under their eyes  :-X  Also, note the high cheek bones.

I don't think we can really say yay or nay unless we get a more clear enhancement.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 20 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 20 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Chrissyan. I’ve been AWOL from my workbench so I'm sorry to be so long putting this together.

I’ve tried sharpening the lady’s face a number of ways.

Be aware that all methods sharpen artificially, some more so than others.

Onto the original image below I’ve superimposed three different attempts plus the picture of your great-aunt.

For the first one I used the tools available in the normal program I use.

For the second one I used a tool called Gigapixel AI. In this instance it has exaggerated any lines in the very blurry original without employing a lot of artificial intelligence.

The third tool is called Remini. It appears to work a bit like a very sophisticated identikit. From a database it tries to find face parts that best match those in an original photo. Imagine a witness to a crime sees a grainy figure at night then a face is put together from various parts. So the image you see in my third attempt is definitely not the real thing.

Having said all that, looking at the shape of her head, her cheek lines, deep chin and so on, I think there is a good chance that the two women are the same at different ages.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.