Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 19th December  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 19th December
« on: Sunday 20 December 20 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Was out like a light last night, sunny day today. Had a long chat with a friend this morning, it was good to talk about  things other than the pandemic although of course that does crop up in any conversation these days, it affects so many parts of everyday life, however limited that life may be. Went for a walk after lunch, not much variation on the route. It seemed a mild day but before I went out I went down the garden to test it out, it was windy and quite a cold wind. Was getting buffeted about, it was making me breathless but I enjoyed getting out.

Went to get a couple of things from the box of groceries in the garage, ended up doing some sorting out in there. Indoors I did some hoovering, the light was fading already. It's getting late early these days but only two more days and then it'll start getting late later! Sorted a couple of small drawers into a more logical order. Since early spring I haven't been able to find my old phone despite looking everywhere I can think of. I made sure it definitely wasn't there, who knows where that's got to.

Read the news about the government announcement, not a great prospect for so many people. I don't understand why they didn't put London into tier 3 before this major change to a new tier 4. Once again, many people who have behaved responsibly are suffering from the results of the foolish actions of others.

Breadcrumbed some cod loin for tea, new potatoes, peas and tomatoes. What a lot of rubbish on TV, I had a look at the schedules for Christmas, it was quite depressing. For years now we've been subjected to repeats but it's always the same old stuff. Considering how many films have been made over the years you'd think they could show something different. Found an episode of Great Art that I hadn't watched, it was about Manet, quite interesting.

I wonder how today has been for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Saturday 19th December
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 20 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Well today has been one of the most extraordinary days I’ve had....

I was woken by my alarm at 6.20 am.... I’d set it for that time as I needed to be in Lidl’s by 7am.... am I bonkers... quite probably yes....
the reason was to buy a turkey .... what! Yes I know ... well my theory was going early would avoid other people...
It was still almost pitch black outside... who in their right minds does this when they don’t really have to!....
I dressed quickly... no cups of tea... crept downstairs and went out into not quite pitch black but almost...
There were next to no cars on the road... lots of latent water lying around as it had rained all night...
It seemed odd to be sitting at red traffic lights with no other cars around at all and I did wonder if they’d just stay red and what would I do... luckily with that thought they turned green... phew...
As I pulled into the car park there were two cars there, the staff were still putting out all the flowers....
As far as I could see there were only two other idiots like me in there.... it was quiet, it was lovely no people don’t have to keep jumping out of the way...
The only trouble.... it’s hard to engage the brain at that time in the morning to think about shopping when I really wanted to be back in bed!... I’d got a comprehensive list which I just held in my hand... don’t think I even looked at it...
Firstly I went to the fridges to pick up a turkey... only large ones... no good... saw member of staff and asked him... they’d got more coming in on Monday... oh no I thought... he asked me what I was looking for and he showed me the very large long chiller units that all the meat is usually in ... full of turkeys of every variety ... I’d walked straight past it.. chose what I wanted and did the rest of my shop... I’d left my bags in the car... so had to reload the trolley ..... to then pack into the  bags in the car.... I’d forgotten the old batteries to recycle in their tubs they have... finally left store still virtually empty... drive to the butchers on the way home and got what I needed from them... only person in the shop... home by 8.15!.... curtains all still closed so OH not up yet...
I just dumped it all in the garage, shoved the turkey in the freezer and went in for a cuppa and breakfast,,,, I felt like a zombie.... not doing that again!
OH up and ready for golf... suggested I went back to bed... no can’t do that now I’m up... well just have a relax... so that’s what I did...
I phoned a friend and we had a nice long chat in between being interrupted by a phone call...
friend calling for her meat I’d collected from the butchers and the postman who’d brought a long box...
it’s flowers he said...
is it I said...
is it your birthday....
 no I said....
an anniversary then...
no I said...
well someone’s sent you some....
I said I’d let him know on Monday once I’d opened it!
It was from OH’s nephew and family... they live in Singapore... just to say they’re sorry we won’t be together this year... how lovely... will send him a message later..
After my call finished as battery nearly flat I had some lunch...
Had a read for a while...
OH home .... today’s our best mans 70th so he gave him a call...
By this time I had to go to collect my shopping from Waitrose.... very organised today there and back within the half hour...
OH listening to Boris.... all change and not for the better but not a surprise really...definitely not going to be meeting daughter on Wednesday as they’re into tier 4.... gave her a call... she’s in tears...
Snap decision... only way we get the boys presents to them as too late to post on Monday.... deliver them 😱😱 before tiers change...
good job they’re wrapped...
 daughter says don’t worry...
OH says I promised the boys we’d see them so that’s what we’ll do..
Within ten minutes we were on our way to London.... quite a lot if traffic in A1.. but flowing well once into north London all lights were green... makes about 15-29 mins difference to journey... north circular not too bad.... I texted daughter to say we’d be there in five minutes... parked... she opened front door... we stood in the porch, them at the back of the hall... boys so excited to see us.... swapped gifts...eldest gave us a few carols on his guitar... quick chat.... we kept face coverings on.... daughter said take them off just want to see our faces! Wished them a Happy Christmas...she’d not yet iced Christmas cake so I said don’t worry... I hadn’t made gingerbread men for the boys..
Told the boys we’d have a big celebration when we were all able to be together again....
Off we went... first time since February we’ve been down there... missed not giving them all a hug but we all felt it was a worth while trip for just a 20 minute chat....
We were back home by 9.10 having left home at 5.20.... think daughter appreciated her fathers efforts to do that... not something many would do on the spur of the moment but family means everything to him, and me too and he’d go to the ends of the earth for them!
We sat and just had a sandwich to late and too tired to cook anything....
Watched some rugby....
what an extraordinary day.....

I wonder what sort of a day others have had...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 19th December
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 20 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh no Roobarb we’ve done it again.... shall I ask mods to merge it?

You are getting on with your tidying up gradually... better than I’ve managed to do... wonder where your phone us... bet it turns up in the most unexpected p,ace!

You’re so right about the few spoiling it for the many... why this decision wasn’t made in Wednesday instead of this hasty reaction.... although I think people had an ink something further would happen!

Know what you mean about Christmas tv... it’s rubbish... same old same old or new versions of same old... dreary beyond belief... glad we’ve got Netflix is all I can say!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 20 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I’ve asked mods to merge them!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 20 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Woke up to a sunny day and drove over to my sisters at mid-day.   Left there at 12.15 and drove to a lovely pub which is a favourite - White Horse, Stoke Ash.   My sister had booked a lunch for 3 at 1pm online so we had no idea what the situation re. COVID would mean.   Had decided beforehand that if busy, queuing outside, etc. we would not stop.   Arrived on time, could see no-one outside, and only one car in the car park (which I now think belonged to a staff member).   We were literally the only customers in there then but a couple did arrive about half an hour after us.   All the usual safety measures in place.   Ordered our meals which were as good as always and had no complaints at all with the safety measures they had in place.   As we left there was a sudden squall and it literally fell down for about 15 minutes.  We drove to my cousin at Mendlesham (just a few miles away to deliver and collect Christmas presents.  She has a large house on the outskirts of the village and we drove down the driveway at the side of the house to the rear of the property.   She came and stood at the doorway to her conservatory and we chatted for around 20 minutes, swapping presents by placing them on a low wall.   Her eldest son lives in Morocco (is a freelance TV/Film Producer) but has been here with her since end February and before he was due to leave we were placed in lockdown.  When we came out of that he couldn't return as Morocco had closed their borders which is still the case.   Since March he has been working in the extensive grounds to the property cutting things back, chopping down trees, etc.   Today when we were there he was in the meadow on some contraption for flattening molehills (and giving them a severe headache I would imagine).   We left when it started raining again.

Nearing Ipswich we stopped at a B & M store on outskirts of town where I bought more peach schnapps and brandy.   So much cheaper there and if we go into a complete lockdown after Christmas as seems likely to me heaven knows when I'll be able to get there again.  Also bought a pack of toilet rolls and tissues to ensure I don't run out if the worst happens again.   (Just 1 pack of each, I wasn't 'bulk' buying!!).

Got back to my sisters and stayed to watch the Strictly final and finally got home around 9pm.   No cooking for us today (hooray).

More presents to wrap for tomorrow, catching up on PC with latest news from Boris, FB and Rootschat.   

Now time for bed - continue to stay safe.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 19th December
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 20 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't join the diary very often but thought I would today as I had such a nice happy evening despite the news on Saturday evening.

On Saturday evening the church had planned a raffle via Zoom, wear a Christmas jumper

Our granddaughter called in for a bacon roll, not seen her since September, had a long sensible chats and was looking forward to seeing us for Christmas lunch, my daughter messaged me "Boris has cancelled Christmas", gave her a ring and asked her what on earth was she talking about, we then turned on the news, and yes Christmas has been cancelled, my granddaughters mood instantly changed, I had never seen that before, she is so disappointed

6pm, zoom raffle, I wore a Christmas jumper and a hat that looked like a Christmas tree  and long dangly earrings that lit up, I thought, "go for it" so I did,  that was huge fun, I won 3 things, one for me and 2 for others who had bought tickets from me, then an auction of a Christmas cake made by the vicar, started off at £3, eventually got to £30, my last bid, yes I know, an expensive Christmas cake but the money was going to charity, pipped at the post, it went for £31, it was a really nice and happy 30 minutes or so, then watched strictly, so a really miserable day turned out a lot better with the fun on zoom and strictly

Back to a dull day today but we must look forward, we can have our get togethers when things settle down and a celebration for my granddaughter 21st birthday

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 20 08:24 GMT (UK) »
An odd assorment of a day.

To the local Museum Shop for last minute things. The Radstock Museum has a very good permanent display of matters relative to its coal mining history and other displays which ring the changes on local life. It also has a very good bookshop, again with matters relating to the locality.

Afternoon off to Bath to our Methodist Church where we had an outdoor Carol Singsong. The back garden of the church is quite close to the local shopping area and we had a number of passers by, who stopped to listen and hopefully join in with some of the carols.
We had six of our own singers and an instrumental trio comprising keyboard, oboe and trombone; an unusual combination but nonetheless quite harmonious. We played for about an hour before wending our way back home. On the way we ran into a ferocious rain and hailstorm; not seen anything as fierce as this since a trip we had returning from Canberra back to Bega (NSW) a couple of years ago- on that occasion we had to stop the car because of the ferocity of the storm.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 20 08:34 GMT (UK) »

Read the news about the government announcement, not a great prospect for so many people. I don't understand why they didn't put London into tier 3 before this major change to a new tier 4.

Just popping in before I walk the dog.  ;D   

London and some areas in Kent / Essex / Hertfordshire? (maybe others) went into tier 3 earlier in the week.  They then added more places around the South East to tier 3 on Saturday morning (19th).  On Sunday morning they moved the whole lot in to tier 4.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 19th December
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 20 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Today (19th) was my 70th birthday and despite everything I had a lovely day. Thank you Roots Chat for the birthday email.