Author Topic: James McLaughlin  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Georgiamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McLaughlin
« on: Sunday 20 December 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! First time using this so not sure of rules etc.
I'm currently looking for more information on a James McLaughlin born in Greenock. He died young, possibly around 30s and would have been around 1945.
His father is Daniel and mother is Marion (born Roberts) wife grace Campbell.
Where can I find more information, I've tried my heritage (full access) and Scotland's people

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James McLaughlin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! First time using this so not sure of rules etc.
I'm currently looking for more information on a James McLaughlin born in Greenock. He died young, possibly around 30s and would have been around 1945.
His father is Daniel and mother is Marion (born Roberts) wife grace Campbell.
Where can I find more information, I've tried my heritage (full access) and Scotland's people
Welcome to RootsChat!

Do not waste your time or your money on MyHeritage. You will not find what you are looking for there.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Grace Ann Campbell and James McLaughlin were married in Greenock in 1941. You can view the original marriage certificate on Scotland's People at modest cost. It will tell you the full names of the couple's parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames, and their ages.

Daniel McLaughlin and Marion Roberts were married in West Greenock in 1914. This marriage certificate is also available to view on Scotland's People.

If James married in 1941, he must have been born before 1925, and probably several years earlier. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of James McLaughlins born in Greenock between 1914 and 1925, so you are going to need his age to narrow them down (or wait until the 1921 census is released in 2022).

Or, noting that there is a death of a James McLaughlin, aged 34, in Greenock in 1950, you could take a look at that death certificate, again on Scotland's People, and see if he is yours.

If he is, and his age at death is accurate, that means that he was born in 1915 or 1916. There is just one James McLaughlin born in Greenock in 1915 or 1916, James Reid McLaughlin, born in 1915. However there is a death of a James Reid McLaughlin, aged 67, in Greenock in 1983, so it is likely that this one isn't yours, which means either that he wasn't born in Greenock or that he wasn't born in either of those years.

Grace Ann Campbell or McLaughlin died in Greenock in 1951, aged 27. Again, you can view her death certificate on Scotland's People.She would appear to have been born in Greenock in 1923, but you won't be able to view that birth certificate because it is less than 100 years ago.

Marion Roberts or McLaughlin, aged 79, died in Greenock in 1961. You can view her death certificate too because it is more than 50 years ago.

I speculate that Daniel McLaughlin died in Greenock in 1960, aged 78. The death certificate will confirm or refute this. If so, he could be the one born in Greenock in 1882. Or he could be the one listed in the 1901 census in Greenock, aged 19, with parents James (35), Sarah (37) and siblings Sarah, 19;  Bridget, 17;  Nellie, 12;  Harry, 8; Rose, 6 and Lilly, 2; all born in Ireland.

If the latter, he could be the son of James McLaughlin and Sarah Morrison, who were married in Derry/Londonderry in 1881. See https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ for Irish records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I searched the name born 1919 +/- 5years, died age 30 –40 from 1940 to 1950, only two in Glasgow area and one in Renfrewshire. You download the record for a fee.

The one above as mentioned by Forfarian.

MCLAUGHLIN   JAMES   34   Died   1950   Greenock

MCLAUGHLIN   JAMES   Born   1916   Port Glasgow

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Georgiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help! ;D