Author Topic: CONLAN from Brownstown  (Read 988 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CONLAN from Brownstown
« on: Sunday 20 December 20 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Last of the BERNEY sisters. Sorry do not know her name only that she was Mrs CONLAN and the family lived in Brownstown.

Had three children according to info given, who would have been born in the 1830s possibly 1840s.
Mary
Dick
Owen

A Richard CONLAN married Anne Jane HYLAND at Suncroft in 1871. She would have been his cousin. The marriage indicates his father as Eugene. His age at death in 1881 was 48 so born c1833. He could be the Dick above but not sure.

What parish does Brownstown come under. Would it be Kildare and Rathangan.

Hoping someone can help put a name to Mrs CONLAN.

Many thanks
Ian C.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: CONLAN from Brownstown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
What parish does Brownstown come under. Would it be Kildare and Rathangan.

From your other thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=841399.0

Brownstown townland just NE of the town of Kilcullen and in Carnalway civil parish
https://www.townlands.ie/kildare/south-naas/carnalway/carnalway/brownstown/

If you're talking about RC parishes, then probably Newbridge since Brownstown is only about 5 miles away.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4631901#map=13/53.1634/-6.7752

Newbridge
Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin | County of Kildare
Variant forms of parish name:
Droichead Nua
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0721

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi.  My Granny was a Conlan from Brownstown (Knox’s corner) (about 2kms from my home place). The Conlans lived at that spot for hundreds of years.  The parish was Suncroft until the curragh camp was built in the 1800s.  The Diocese is Kildare and Leighin.  What do you need to know? Hi there 👋

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
The parish was never Newbridge or Kilcullen.  Newbridge is a new town - only 200 years old - built to house factory workers.  Kilcullen is in a different diocese.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi SheIreland

My connection is through the BERNEYs.

Trying to establish the name of the BERNEY girl who married the CONLAN and had the three children mentioned above.

Ian C

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
I’ll see what I can find out locally.  Where were the Berneys from?  (Kilcullen has a lot of Berneys) The names Dick, Owen etc don’t ring any bells.  My family was all Maurices Dominics and Julias. But there weren’t any other Conlans in Brownstown that I’m aware of.  It’s easy for me to check as I still live locally. It’ll take a week or two.  It’s Easter holidays here.  I’ll get back to you.

Offline SheIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 22 16:09 BST (UK) »
Another question.  You mentioned Suncroft parish and so I presumed you meant the village Brownstown (in Suncroft parish).  However there is another Brownstown townsland closer to Kilcullen. Which is it? Do you know? Carnalway is there Kilcullen one. Not Suncroft.  So Dublin diocese, parish of Kilcullen. Let me know what info you have and I can check either.  Glad to help.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much.

The BERNEYs were from Suncroft parish and baptised there, don't know if there were any sons but there were at least five daughters.
Betty (Eliza) 1802-1872 - married Peter NOLAN 1823 (my ancestors)
Marcel 1808-1896 - married Thomas SHAW
Catherine 1815-1872 - married Mark HYLAND 1834
Anne 1817-1872 - married William DAWSON

The other one married a CONLAN from Brownstown and had the Mary, Dick and Owen as mentioned in the original post. Her name may have been Mary.

Also the Dick may have been Richard CONLAN who married Anne Jane HYLAND at Suncroft in 1871. They had
Owen
Mark
Edward
Catherine
Richard
Mary

Looks like it might be the Brownstown in the Kilcullen area as when Catherine HYLAND died in 1872 in Brownstown her death was registered in the district of Kilcullen. The same with Richard CONLAN in 1881.

Ian C

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment Books have both surnames in Brownstown Ballysax 1828 ie Suncroft Parish
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
It's handier to just put in Brownstown and Kildare in the search due to spelling variations
Griffith's Valuation also has both surnames in Brownstown Great  print date 1853.
https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

The parish of Kilcullen used to stop at the edge of the town near the top of the hill going towards Naas, when Moanbane Park was first built it was in the parish of Newbridge. The parish of Newbridge was the United Parish of Newbridge and Two Mile House which is why the Kilcullen Brownstown is in Newbridge parish register as are places like Logstown townland and Silliot Hill.