Author Topic: 20 Dec 2020 & new Covid strain makes the headlines  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Dec 2020 & new Covid strain makes the headlines
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:03 GMT (UK) »

As for Norfolk - is there any other town of substance in that county, except for Norwich, of course?

Great Yarmouth. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at a May 2020 map of the covid-19 spread and was extremely surprised.  I'd imagined modern day travel would mean Dover and Heathrow passengers would spread the virus evenly as people made their way home or to places where foreign visitors intended to stay.

What I found was high Covid levels at all the historic cinq ports on the south east coast of England and North Norfolk,. probably Kings Lynn historic gateway for Portuguese and Eastern Europeans.          Cornwall, Devon and the farmland of Lincolnshire stand out as having very low population/covid levels  On another level, should we be worried that Kent, which used to be the fruit growing orchards and farmlands of England seem to have lost fields and have a spread of populations..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_England

In what sense has Kent lost fields? I don't understand this.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
So, we are blaming other countries/people for the "English Virus"? ;D ;D ;D

Blame surely has to be laid at the door of the incompetence of the UK Government and it's laughable "lockdown" policies - which apparently do not involve locking down?

Exactly - other countries have a test procedure for quickly taking temperatures without touching the individuals - I haven't seen hair nor hide of us doing anything like a test.Admittedly I have recently heard that some Covid carriers do not show increase in temperature - but we didn't know that early this year did we?

I didn't take much notice but I did hear during a discussion sometime recently that the virus stays on some surfaces up to 72 hours..  Are we importing the virus on some form of packaging?

I can quite understand other posters not understanding how my brain works.  It darts here and there, looking for solutions to anyuthing that puzzles me and I appreciate others opening up new avenues to explore..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Mike in Cumbria

In what sense has Kent lost fields? I don't understand this.
[/quote

Parts of Kent are now part of London - and Norfolk is/was where the government plan(ned) to put the London overspill.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »

I didn't take much notice but I did hear during a discussion sometime recently that the virus stays on some surfaces up to 72 hours..  Are we importing the virus on some form of packaging?

With the highest (or one of the highest) infection rates in Europe, importing the virus from anywhere else isn't the issue. Maybe we should be more concerned about not exporting it.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Other countries have a test procedure for quickly taking temperatures without touching the individuals - I haven't seen hair nor hide of us doing anything like a test.Admittedly I have recently heard that some Covid carriers do not show increase in temperature - but we didn't know that early this year did we?

It's been known for months that temperature is a pretty poor indicator of covid infection.

Slate
20 May
Temperature checks don’t work without testing infrastructure.
https://slate.com/technology/2020/05/temperature-checks-coronavirus.html

Bloomberg
28 May
Coronavirus: Temperature Checks Can Miss Feverless Covid Cases
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/coronavirus-temperature-checks-can-miss-feverless-covid-cases

Forbes
13 August
Fauci Says Coronavirus Temperature Checks ‘Notoriously Inaccurate’
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/08/13/fauci-says-coronavirus-temperature-checks-notoriously-inaccurate/
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
What I don’t understand is why are no steps being taken to stop people travelling out of Tier 4 areas?

Don’t get me wrong, - I’m not advocating for a ‘Police State’, but during the first lockdown, the police did turn back people trying to enter certain areas.

We’re in a Tier 4 area here now, but I do know of people who are still planning to make lengthy journeys to other parts of the country for the Christmas period.

Won’t this potentially lead to the mutated virus spreading like wildfire throughout the country?

Romilly  :-\
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
People are still travelling and putting others at risk. Hubby works for RAC and you would think he be quiet.....NO... He's just towed a car off motorway to nearest service area for safety and to fix the car.

Both occupants had their masks so as he was working he asked " have you moved as we may need to update your records" reply..no why's that?  Hubby said.... Well we've got your address as Bolton!
 "So" said customer  I'm going to collect my mum from Battersea.

Hubby was now fuming he told them he could not fix it roadside as it was a bigger job. The customer began moaning and hubby then checked further...NO ROAD TAX.... " sorry no more service allowed.
 It was out of days in April!  So actually putting more lives at risk in other ways.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:48 GMT (UK) »

As for Norfolk - is there any other town of substance in that county, except for Norwich, of course?

Great Yarmouth. 

Regards 

Chas

Thanks Chas.  I need to find more than a few memory cells - Gt. Yarmouth was where my grandfather's grandparents had a pub lol